Add Asset fields to email template

LouiseT

Hi

As far as I'm aware it's not currently possible to map asset information (serial number, name, type etc) into an email template.     I'd like to be able to send an email during the life cycle of a  request and have these automatically populated.

Is there any way I can work around this using custom fields?

And is there any way this functionality could be added?

Thanks

There isn't a "Get Asset Details" node available which would allow you to gather this information. I believe this is because you can add any number of Assets to a Request, so the Workflow would not know which asset to get the details for.

I appreciate that in this scenario you would only add one Asset, but the Workflow isn't sentient (yet) so we cannot rely on the Request having a single linked Asset.

I've tagged this as an Enhancement so that the Developers are aware and can asses the feasibility of this.

• 3 months later...

I think I remember there being discussions around being able to mark Assets that are "Primary" "Secondary" and "Tertiary" against tickets - not sure how far that has gotten, or if that has gotten anywhere at all, but if that was in place, then it could enable email templates to use that information.

Even better would be to be able to assign and index number or something to Assets (or the index number is automatically assigned on addition to the request if not manually specified), then within email templates we could uses something like {{Request Assets[1].h_pk_asset_id}}, where we are essentially manually defining the index in our templates, without Hornbill having to hardcode Primary, Secondary and Tertiary fields. (or a combination of the two above would still be good).

But there isn't anything yet, but for the idea to include Asset details in email templates, it's +1 from me.

HI @Steve Giller

I would expect it to work the same as the existing variables, the variable would remain on the template unless users add |empty to it, or even esp conditions could be used.

I.e.

{{Request Assets[10].h_pk_reference|Empty}}

However the use case... I wouldn't expect people to use this where assets were added to requests free for all... though there wouldn't be anything stopping them if implemented, they just won't see everything unless that added a large number of variables to cater for eventualities... but generally for most users, it would be in a controlled manner.

For example I have some forms that specifically asks for the users Laptop and Mobile Phone, and they would generally only use 1 of each.

If we tie the laptop to index 1 and the phone to index 10 (user defined) then in this idea, the Assets will always be:

{{Request Assets[1].h_pk_reference|empty}}

{{Request Assets[10].h_pk_reference|empty}}

The implementation of this would need to open up every single variable for all asset tables.

{{Request Assets[1].h_pk_reference|empty}}

{{Request Assets[1].h_model|empty}}

I am revamping the our IT onboarding and offboarding process so being able to produce an automated email containing the details of the laptop/tablet, monitor/phone Assets assigned to the new starter or Mover request for example would be great.

Typing on my phone - not a great experience but I hope I made sense.

Thanks,

Samuel

We have a selection of "Get Assets" nodes in the workflow which each only lookup specific classes and types and then the results of each of those are mapped to custom fields so that I can then use those custom fields in my email to the manager. We have the template below for Leavers and I plan one for Starters that states what assets have been deployed under each category. I also plan to expand that approach to Software and Applications.

Dear {{.H_fk_user_name}},

You recently logged a leaver's Request ({{.H_pk_reference}}). After a review of the information you provided, and existing ICT records, the following Assets must be returned for {{.H_custom_j}} on or before {{.H_custom_21}}, the Leaver's last day.

If there are no entries under a given header below, no assets of that class are known. However, this should not stop you returning additional assets if you later discover them. If there is more than one entry for any given header below, they will be separated by commas on the same line.

Computer Assets:
{{.H_custom_p|empty}}

Mobile Assets:
{{.H_custom_q|empty}}

Telecoms Assets:
{{.H_custom_r|empty}}

Security Badge:
Please remember to ensure your Leaver returns their Security Badge.

Returning items
You said you'll have the assets returned on this date: {{.H_custom_22}}
 (GMT). Please add it to your diary (and your Leaver's diary if appropriate) and please remember to have the Leaver's Request reference to hand.

• 10 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 3:55 PM, LouiseT said:

Hi

As far as I'm aware it's not currently possible to map asset information (serial number, name, type etc) into an email template.     I'd like to be able to send an email during the life cycle of a  request and have these automatically populated.

Is there any way I can work around this using custom fields?

And is there any way this functionality could be added?

Thanks

+1 for this please

• 2 months later...