Add option to send attachments in Business Process along with text

AmyW

We would like it if we could have a feature that allows us to send an attachment along with the answers received during the intelligent capture in an email process node.

You can do this manually via the email action button but we would like it to happen during a process node.

I have raised this yesterday and have gotten some workarounds but they aren't what we are after and would be easier to have it emailed like the text is able to do.

Is the attachment an image or a document?

I think that this would be a challenge for the workflow.  Attachments could have any name and there could be more than one attachment on a request, or non at all.  As powerful as the workflows are, they need to be told exactly what to do and I think that there is the potential for a lot of variation when it comes to attachments on a request.

I'd be interested to know the use case.  I'm assuming that you are wanting to forward the information of a request to someone that doesn't have access to Hornbill, such as a 3rd Party.  If that's the case, have you looked at using Connections

It would be an attachment, surely it would be similar to a large text box as the answers provided by the customer in the capture are logged to be used in a process so couldn't the attachment have a similar logging process so it can be referred to in the process.

It wouldn't need to look at name of the attachment because it has it's own form in the capture that we could give it's own code (like fields do) and then reference that in an email to pull up what has been uploaded by the customer

Well this is a coincidence - I'm just working on a BP hoping to achieve just that; pull a document from a document library and attach it to an email as part of the process.

It goes along the lines of customer selects the option they need, the BP processes that request and determines which form they need to complete. Form is pulled from library and attached to email which is then sent to the email address they provide - for this process in particular, a third party is required to complete the form.

Sounds like it should be easy to do.

Ours wouldn't involve the document library as it will be a screenshot of an issue they are having trouble with so could be number of things wrong, so would be an attachment they provide during the capture stages, but a similar issue.

@AmyW I think a major part of the issue is that although you are using Capture A with Workflow B there is no guarantee that you aren't, or won't in the future, use Capture B with Workflow B - and Capture B will not have that attachment form.

There is also no guarantee that Capture A will not be triggered by a Routing Rule and the Attachments form may then capture more than one attachment from the email that could confuse or even break the Workflow.

@QEHNick If you're pulling from a document library is this not something you can just share the link to? It's much more efficient to do that than download and share the document every time.

15 minutes ago, QEHNick said:

A third party with no access to Service Manager

They have raised a request - so surely they have some access to Service Manager?
I'm not sure of the specifics off the top of my head, but even Contacts should have visibility of certain documents within Hornbill - it would be a matter of ensuring that the relevant Users/Guests have the correct roles and the Documents being stored in the correct place.

In this scenario, the third party does raise the request via our service desk but has no access to Service manager.

We do not want to add any contacts or users.

It sounds simple, to add a file from the document library to an email, the cloud automation tool discussed in another thread almost does the trick (it adds the file to the request), so it seems to me to be a small step to be able to add that file to an email. 

Perhaps a feature request?

image.png.8182df9d7bb5335e9bdbc2e4e7b375ce.png