Enhancement suggestion: The text added to the Timeline should be identified as a system update not by the user

Berto2002

I have many workflows that add Timeline updates but they all appear as if the Customer or Team member made them. This is plain misleading!

All updates to the Timeline that are made by workflow should state they are made by the System user.

image.png.fde22283be9e907e3185a2db78e2b7c5.png

In the above it looks like Tom set the category and it looks like Tom put that text; but he didn't... really this needs to change. I cannot use the filter to display only the Customer's updates if that list also includes workflow items.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that everything in Hornbill happens in a user context. On your example, what happened was that Tom performed an action on the request that triggered the workflow which did set the category and created the timeline entry. The subsequent workflow actions were then tied to his user context resulting in the user being Tom for all the subsequent actions that were performed which were triggered by the manual action performed by Tom. Also there is the argument that it was Tom's action that triggered the workflow and thus it is in essence, Tom who performed the category set and the update via the workflow.

I understand why this happens from a technical perspective but, in reality, that approach makes no sense to the users and gives a misleading view on what the system does versus a manual interaction. Most of our timeline is workflow actions by the system and I have no way of filtering out the manual conversation between people. This makes the timeline very hard to use to track conversations about tickets and is pushing us away onto teams.

I guess I am pointing out my view that the design principle that workflow pastes in the user context should not be re-evaluated for improvement in the future. We need our users to be able to select a permanent filter there and to see manual interactions only.

• Like 1

Is not only from a technical perspective, is the base of the security model. We cannot simply change it because it is difficult to filter manual conversation between people. Reading through this, what we would actually need is a filter for manual interactions, specifically timeline updates created as a result of a direct action rather that indirect subsequent automated actions performed in that user context (which form a technical and security perspective were performed by the same user but not directly).