Enhancement: Oh dear, too many custom buttons and you lose the Summary and RequestID

Berto2002

@Berto2002 I also wanted to say that it is great that you are making such good use of the custom buttons.  It can be an extremely useful, and powerful tool.  My personal thoughts on the labels is that the visible text may help a user identify the buttons the first couple of times they see them, but they are more likely to drawn toward the icon or colour after that.  I'd give Connor's idea a go, and where suitable, remove the text and replace it will a tool tip and have the icon as closely related as possible to the purpose of the Auto Task.

@James Ainsworth. We are starting to use them more but the buttons need to proliferate because we cannot input variables for them. For example, we need a button to assign assets to stock, another button to assign to the customer of the ticket, another to the owner, etc. And so I fear running out of space at the top! Whereas if we could have one button to assign ownership and select the variable it would be better. I've raised another thread where I suggest we need to be able to have user input/variables for autotasks.

2 hours ago, Berto2002 said:

@James Ainsworth. We are starting to use them more but the buttons need to proliferate because we cannot input variables for them. For example, we need a button to assign assets to stock, another button to assign to the customer of the ticket, another to the owner, etc. And so I fear running out of space at the top! Whereas if we could have one button to assign ownership and select the variable it would be better. I've raised another thread where I suggest we need to be able to have user input/variables for autotasks.

I love this idea @Berto2002 and will follow with interest (I'll look for your other post)

• 7 months later...

@James Ainsworth this is now getting to be a bit of a problem for those of us with Admin rights because custom buttons are so useful for stuff. 

Would you be willing to have a chat with dev about this?

Just seeking two things in the UI:

1) a preserved width for the Request reference number and summary

2) the ability for the custom button section to be able to 'wrap' onto a second row if the width exceeds that available 

image.thumb.png.b02423c910c8cc9cc9dac615e275252e.png

In the above, we (already) have Custom Buttons to:

1. Convert incidents to service requests
  2. Raise a new major incident as a copy
  3. Creating new teams conversation
  4. Initiate a swap laptop ticket
  5. Assign all linked assets to the user or to stock
  6. Open the BPM foe the request
  7. Send diagnosis email of all custom fields
  8. Open the Request List
  9. Launch a new MI report
  10. Swap the service
  11. Check the Out of office status of customer
  12. Update custom field with set value

I want to do more but I am now prevented because I cannot fit them in!

• Like 1

@Berto2002

I am sure we can improve the way this works, we did not really think people would want to use this custom button scheme in the way people are now using it, we thought "just the odd couple of buttons here and there" but things, especially since we introduced auto-tasks, have moved on. 

Gerry

• Like 2

@Berto2002

One other thing to consider, if you do need a large number of buttons, you can for now, just use Icons without the text as you have already done in a couple of instances, and make sure you use the tooltop funciton. Appreciate thats a work-around, we will get the issue with the hidden reference number sorted out though.
Gerry

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...