Regex help? Extracting a User's name from the Description field

Berto2002

Hi everyone. Regex is a mystery code with magical properties! But too magical for non-coders :-)

I have emails coming in from an upstream system which I'm picking-up with routing rules and feeding into workflow.

I use this Regex to extract the email address of the user from the Summary and it works fine: (?<=\()(.*?)(?=\))

I then trawled the 'net and came-up with this Regex to extract the contents that follow the "Name:" string: (^Name:\s*\K[^:].*)

But it doesn't work, despite looking like it should in the tester. When I paste the result to the Timeline I get null/blank.

image.png.f60ae84eb70764561bde8185caed1cb8.png

This is the email when we look at Email Source:

image.thumb.png.2b79956a9598bb74ccae7a2f6cf7ce33.png

Guest Paul Alexander

@Berto2002

Have you tried the 'string utilities' options in the BPM nodes for this instead of regex? We use it to find users names in our automated leavers requests. We do a search for a 'known' string 'like "Name:" for instance and then use the  Substring node to extract the info.  Gotta be easier than regex!!

image.png.ee65321b39bbad203d0f23522a1b9425.png

I went with Victor's Regex and it works. Spread the word about Victor being a genius with Regex :-)

@Paul, your suggestion is in the toolbox for another time. Useful to be about to count to the start of a string and then use that later for something.

• Like 1