Acting on individual linked assets, rather than by Class and Type only

Berto2002

We've started to automate some asset handling steps through workflow. For example, assigning laptops, DDI numbers, mobiles/handsets to new starters and reclaiming assets from leavers.

We've found that a user might have two laptops and both categorise as Class = Computer and type = Laptop. I want the Service Desk to be able to pick-off those two assets individually and be able to, say, assign one back to stock and set one to needing repair or disposal

However, I can only work out how to do this through workflow using the "Get" and then "Add" automations which bundles them together and therefore any action occurs to both. It may not be obvious until we look at them what action we need to take so I cannot use the Types to permanently segregate them in the Asset DB.

Hi @Berto2002

Thanks for your post. Apologies if I haven't fully understood the requirement.   I would be interested to know if you have some ideas on what unique identifiers could be used to separate different actions for assets of the same type that belong to the same user?  With any automation, it is important to assure that the actions are applied correctly every time.  In the case of a user having two laptops, how would automation know which one to request for return?  I can see your Check-in Linked Computers  which is a human task.  I can't quite make out which aspects you want to push to a human to complete and which ones you would expect to be automated.

I think a solution would need development and would be to allow the Agent to apply a workflow to an individual, chosen, Asset. This would presumably need to be done in the Human Task. I can picture an Agent being presented with the list of Linked Assets and being able to select one or more in a check-box fashion. They could then apply prescribed operations (as dictated by the action buttons in the workflow) to a selected number of them, perhaps iteratively.

For example, my list of assets might be contain 4 items. I select the old laptop and then pick the "to repair" action (which in the background alters 4 fields on the db to put it on the repair queue). I then select the mobile handset and the new laptop send those "to stock" and finally I set the mobile number to "cancel contract". The essence is that until the Agent can chose, per item, on inspection, it looks hard to accurately process end user items in and out exclusively through workflow.

Hi @Berto2002

Have you had a look at the Custom Buttons and Auto Tasks on the assets?  Adding a custom button to an asset that uses an Auto Task will allow you to present buttons at the top of an asset that then run the automated Auto Task workflow.  When the agent is reviewing the assets, they can view on the asset that they wish to action, and then select the appropriate custom button to perform that action.  

Let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

@James Ainsworth did you see anything on how to do AutoTasks on Assets?

I got as far as seeing I could allocate an AutoTask to Assets here:

image.png.2ee171bec94f00ba73078765f8c7b1b7.png

But when I then configure it, it still needs a RequestID at the core. But the whole idea of having it in AutoTasks is that it doesn't need a RequestID? It should be acting on the Asset on the screen which would be, say, "AssetID"?

So I'm stuck not being able to have one because I don't know how to get around the RequestID; unless I need a 'dummy' or perpetually open fixed RequestID on which to hang all such updates; which would be weird?

• 2 months later...
Guest Paul Alexander

Are there any plans to update the 'custom buttons' so that they can be used on Assets as well as requests?