Best practise for renaming / closing a Team

Sam P

Hi all

I need to change the name of a service Team in our instance - is it best to rename it or should I delete it and create a new one?  If I delete it, how will it be referenced in reports?  Is there a way to archive it instead?  Deleting feels a bit final! 

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Sam P said:

If I delete it, how will it be referenced in reports?

What reports? I mean what data source you use for these reports? Is it requests?

1 hour ago, Sam P said:

I need to change the name of a service Team in our instance - is it best to rename it or should I delete it and create a new one? 

Depends... Renaming is the best/safest option (usually) but you would need to ensure there are no BP/workflow or PCF configurations that depend on the team name. For example BP/workflow or PCF configurations with nodes using the team name specifically (e.g. decision nodes with branches using custom expressions that validate on that team name)... Deleting is not necessarily final but potentially more impactful... there can be configurations that again depend on team name that would automatically adjust when/if the name changes. For example custom views in requests list or SLA/SL rules. These will stop working (correctly) if the team is deleted... so it more or less depends on what you have configured in your instance...

1 hour ago, Victor said:

What reports? I mean what data source you use for these reports? Is it requests?

Yes Requests, so if for example a report showed how many requests were resolved per month by team member, would the tickets of a deleted team still appear?  And if it was renamed, would the line appear twice? 

When a request is resolved (for any given request) we store the two value of the resolving team in h_resolvedby_team_id (Resolved By Team ID) and h_resolvedby_teamname (Resolved By Team). These values will not change if either you rename the team or delete it. So the reports can still use/show the team that resolved the request. Same applies for closure: h_closedby_team_id (Closed By Team ID) and h_closedby_teamname (Closed By Team).

Now, for the renaming scenario, depending on how you build the reports, you can have (use) either the original team name or the new one. If you wan the original name displayed an used then simply use the h_resolvedby_teamname (Resolved By Team) field. If you want to display or use the new name then, in the report, you would need to JOIN the database table that stores the team configuration and use the tea name from that table as opposed to the team name stored in requests...

So, in summary, for resolve and close, the team ID and name is stored for each request with the value existing at that time. Renaming or deleting the team does not affect these values so they can be used accordingly.