Deleting email, but not permanently

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi

Is there a setting where people can DELETE an email (which is basically moving it from the Inbox, for instance, to the Deleted Items folder) but to NOT be able to delete them from the Deleted Items folder?

We've got a situation where 'someone' has been doing some mailbox maintenance and has managed to delete a load of emails from the Deleted Items folder, so those emails aren't now available in the requests. This happened a while ago we think, and nobody is owning up to it, so I'm looking for an easy way to stop people from being able to permanently delete the emails, but we DO still need for them to be able to move them to the Deleted Items folder.

I know I could create a new folder specifically for these emails and allow people to MOVE them, but we've got 26 mailboxes and this seems like a lot of work for me (yep, being lazy :D ) so I was hoping for a setting that I could add to the role which will stop individuals being able to permanently delete these items.

thanks

Guest Paul Alexander

Actually - just looking at the mailbox settings here, and I've switched off the 'Can Delete Message' option, but I still get that option in the 'reading pane', and it still works?!:

image.thumb.png.6c2503a6d8677a086a713f021d8a3c3b.png

image.thumb.png.4c667908df8e7cfc73f6bcb10b32a8eb.png

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Jeremy

Thanks, but I've just tried this with a user, and, as long as the 'Can Delete Message' option is set, then people can delete AND permanently delete emails, regardless of whether they have the role of 'Service Desk Admin'.

I think that the 'Service Desk Admin' does override whether the 'delete' message option works in the Reading Pane (I CAN delete messages still, because I have that role but other users can't, but they do still see the option)

Guest Paul Alexander
33 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

The only people that can delete emails in our instance are people with a role of 'Service Desk Admin'.

Does that mean that other people can't use the 'delete' option even from the Inbox for instance? 

Or are you saying that only Service Desk Admins can delete AND PERMANENTLY delete items?

5 hours ago, Paul Alexander said:

Does that mean that other people can't use the 'delete' option even from the Inbox for instance? 

most people can only fake delete (by clicking the button it just moves the email to deleted items folder)

5 hours ago, Paul Alexander said:

Or are you saying that only Service Desk Admins can delete AND PERMANENTLY delete items?

Yes, these admins can them permanently delete if required.

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi again

I've just tested this again and unfortunately, if I remove the 'Can Delete Message' option from the Shared Mailbox 'Role' for this particular mailbox, then whoever has that Role doesn't get the option to actually delete a message (i.e. move it from the inbox to the Deleted Items folder).

DeleteEmail.jpg.646f05dda53dc48597e64a7ca7ed6ea8.jpg

If I do add this option (so that person/role does have the 'Can Delete Message' option) then they can both move the email to the Deleted Items folder AND delete it permanently from there. 

This person does NOT have the Service Desk Admin role (although they can still permanently delete an email), so I'm wondering if this is something that @Jeremy has updated in their settings/roles specifically to allow permanent deletion?

Guest Paul Alexander

Thanks @Jeremy

We have similar options for our analysts, but removing the 'can delete message' option means that they then CAN'T delete a message (from, say, the Inbox) but ADDING this option means that they CAN delete, but that they can also PERMANENTLY delete from the Deleted Items folder.

I'm going to raise a support request for it to see if I can get some clarification from Hornbill support staff.

thanks...