New Hornbill UI

Michael Sharp

Hi all,

Good work on the new UI, we think it looks much cleaner but just one issue for us is the placement of email.  Ideally this would be next to the notifications panel still due to the fact it is much less prominent (and more likely to be missed) in the left hand pane.

Mike.

6 minutes ago, Michael Sharp said:

Hi all,

Good work on the new UI, we think it looks much cleaner but just one issue for us is the placement of email.  Ideally this would be next to the notifications panel still due to the fact it is much less prominent (and more likely to be missed) in the left hand pane.

Mike.

+1

I really like it, however my current gripe with it is that the default font size is too big at 14px (for me anyway) and I feel that I am seeing less on screen than I am used to. I think it would be good if we have some control of it.  Maybe there could be something in the user settings area that will allow users to choose their preferred font size for Hornbill?  Could hornbill adopt the em scale, would that give more flexibility over the size of the fonts?

5 minutes ago, samwoo said:

+1

I really like it, however my current gripe with it is that the default font size is too big (for me anyway) and I feel that I am seeing less on screen than I am used to. I think it would be good if we have some control of it.  Maybe there could be something in the user settings area that will allow users to choose their preferred font size for Hornbill?

I quite like how much clearer it makes it but not sure it looks very good having 5/6 font sizes on the same page!

image.thumb.png.7c762fc4e594919e7c39dfa01278a890.png

34 minutes ago, Martyn Houghton said:

You also seem to lose any favourites you pinned on the Menu.

This wasn't noticeably clear to me, but I eventually discovered where they are... by clicking on the orange star.  Not sure why it didn't tick with me that this is the favourites area... in fact, I'm not sure why I didnt notice it until about 10 minutes ago.
image.png.14b9cd828d5d6b17f552c22f1c383e72.png

I like that you can drag and drop to reorder them as you could previously.

• Like 2

@Michael Sharp

...just one issue for us is the placement of email...

Many of the views, including email need a lot more attention, now that we have the new navigation structure in place as well as a more consistent global design system for the dev teams to work with, we have a program to do many further incremental releases improving UI aspects across the board. We purposefully chose this approach to be aligned with our CD pipeline approach.  In summary, there are many areas of the application that are currently *untouched* that will be getting improved over the coming weeks and months. 

Gerry 

• Thanks 1

@samwoo

however my current gripe with it is that the default font size is too big at 14px (for me anyway) and I feel that I am seeing less on screen than I am used to

We had that feedback internally too, and while the font size is one aspect, the other is spacing/padding etc.  There is a continued push towards better visual accessibility, and so density of information is important to consider.  I know us technical information worker/developer/technician types like high density information on our screens, but we have to find a good balance. I would give it a few days and see how things look to you, and then switch back to the old UI, what  I found, despite liking the higher density information myself, I found that when looking at the old UI I am compelled to switch back to the new "bigger point size" UI. Thats been my experience anyway, give it a try yourself and let me know what you think

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Gerry said:

@samwoo

We had that feedback internally too, and while the font size is one aspect, the other is spacing/padding etc.  There is a continued push towards better visual accessibility, and so density of information is important to consider.  I know us technical information worker/developer/technician types like high density information on our screens, but we have to find a good balance. I would give it a few days and see how things look to you, and then switch back to the old UI, what  I found, despite liking the higher density information myself, I found that when looking at the old UI I am compelled to switch back to the new "bigger point size" UI. Thats been my experience anyway, give it a try yourself and let me know what you think

A lot of us (myself included) uses a laptop where the screen size is 1366 x 768 which when used with the 14px font means we don't have a lot of information on our screen.  We do use monitors but there are occasions where we might not be able to or might need the bigger screen for the work we need to do outside of Hornbill. 

image.thumb.png.7e5665afc2430df06834906ef8bcc1d0.png

I use all the columns that I've defined, but now, unfortunately, I need to scroll left/right a lot more to see the information that I usually have in front of me.  I have temporarily zoomed out of my browser to 80% which gives me the view that suits my needs for the moment when I have Hornbill on my laptop screen.

However, despite not seeing as much information on the screen currently at 100% zoom (on my laptop screen), I do feel that it's clearer and easier to read. It does look really nice on a larger screen though at 100% zoom.

@samwoo

Thats the conversation we had internally also, and using the browsers zoom functionality is the best way to go as you can more finely tune for your own setup/environment.   All future UI work will have this consideration and move towards making the UI work well at all reasonable zoom levels. 

Gerry

• Thanks 1

In the organisations view, I feel the right hand column containing customer logo and time zone takes up way too much screen space. So when doing this overhaul could you please make those a bit smaller?