Multi-stream processing: Expire Human Task on variable expiry or "first past the post" approach to parallel processing?

Berto2002

I have a logic problem I cannot solve. Can you help, please?

I want a Human Task that Service Desk can act upon if they receive Leavers' hardware returned early but to have that task 'disappear' and be replaced by a different Human Task (escalation) if the Line Manager does not return hardware by an expiry date derived from the PCF completed when the Request was logged.

The logical ways I can conceive of this working but cannot work out how to configure are:

1. to expire a Human Task based on a variable. This would then directly replace one HT with another after a period of time. There is an option to expire on a set period since creation of the Task but not refer to an external value as there is in Hornbill Automations or Expressions
  2. to set-up parallel processing with two streams - one with a Human Task and the other an Await Expiry node - wherein the completion of either node automatically completes the other node (i.e. over-rides the wait or completes the HT); and thus satisfies the end of parallel processing so I can trigger the second, escalation HT

At present, I have had to be satisfied with having a wait step (with a Notice to Service Desk to wait, and suspend of all actions) and the Human Task for the action only appearing after expiry.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you,

Rob

image.png.87e0c07ef6c73c3946ffb14f811c3bfd.png

@Berto2002  apologises if i have missed

something here, but the option to set the task expiry is available as a variable as below (from the arrow in the expiry lifespan setting).

image.png

becomes

image.png

With this, the task can await completion - i.e the leaver's manager returns the equipment early, and the task outcome is manually completed, or the task expires on the set variable, and a decision branches on the expired or the outcome of the task being manually completed.

image.png

Sorry if i have misunderstood

Steve

#Facepalm

Steve, I've been shown as a rookie again and did not see that Variable. Thank you. I will try this.

Any way to do the other option I suggested, for future reference? I.e. 

1. to set-up parallel processing with two streams - one with a Human Task and the other an Await Expiry node - wherein the completion of either node automatically completes the other node (i.e. over-rides the wait or completes the HT); and thus satisfies the end of parallel processing so I can trigger the second, escalation HT
  2. Or to allow parallel processing to operate a first past the post system and be satisfied to continue even with fewer than all parallel streams being satisfied?

@Berto2002 no problem happy to help.

I am not sure either of those options would work inside parallel processing -

1. If the Expiry node expired first, there is no configurable logic, to cancel / complete / expire the task, equally if the task was completed, because you are using a simple Suspend await expiry node - there is no other trigger, apart from the configured expiry time period to un-suspend that specific node

2. as you say you would effectively have two (or more) defined paths in the parallel processing, and there isn't any logic for one path to effect or interact with the other and no overarching logic to allow you to set those types of rules.

Hopefully the task and it's expiry option followed by a decision based on either a manual task or task expiry will give you what you need.