Services showing on portal - that we need hidden from the customer

Tina.Lapere

Hi,

We are working with HR for starters/leavers etc and in their business process it logs us a separate call which uses our back end service (Joint Processes) and relevant catalogue items.  This works well however on checking the ICT call on the portal we have discovered that they are able to see all of the ICT parts of the joint processes within the service (that are only used for logging our ICT calls).  We have to have this visible for the customers to be able to keep track and update the ICT call but I don't want them to be able to view the service & catalogue items on the portal.

image.thumb.png.9a0502dda4153882bf6a23809887bfcd.png

image.thumb.png.d7854e15b2cc2a27d3fc4d98431d22ac.png

How can I stop this please?  I can't have people using this as the above are not linked to the HR process. 

They should only be logged via the HR portal which is on a separate page.

image.thumb.png.83cb83a33028df7f27ba263cbf29d75d.png

Can someone help?

Thanks

Tina

Hi @Conor, can you help at all?

We're creating an ICT call from the HR BPM (using a different service which only ICT support - hence the service called Joint Processes) which is how you suggested we raise our ICT call. 

However once the call is logged they have the ability to click on the service 'Joint Processes' at the top and be presented with the service (this is the ICT part of the process).  If they choose to log the call from here they will be presented with the original PC (as it has to have a PC set) but it will not link to the correct HR BPM.

I can't hind the service as I need the customer to be able to see how the call is progressing for the ICT call but I need to stop them being able to have the option to log a call from this service.

Help!

Tina

Hi @Tina.Lapere

From what you've described, the IT Request is a Technical Service underpinning the HR Request - Customers should not see these Services.

Visibility of important steps can easily be provided to the Customer by posting to the main HR Request either automatically in the Business Process or Manually using the Update Linked Request action, which avoids the complication of trying to have a Service/CI that is effectively both visible and invisible.

@Steve Giller I see what you are saying however as our customers have only ever used the portal for ICT calls it's been setup so that they are now able to also see how the HR elements are progressing separately.  

We are only a small organisation so them being able to see both parts of the call is actually better for us then trying to build in the ICT flags to the HR elements.  

Not every employee follows the same back end process and therefore sometimes the HR elements would finish before the ICT parts. 

For example these are the HR BPM stages/checkpoints (from a test call) image.thumb.png.5eaa7ead5d5af2926a261f3870274e31.png

These are the ICT stages/checkpoints (test call):  

image.thumb.png.4a81a4582009989f0d4f7e2482d4dc62.png

It would be so much work to be able to merge our flags into the HR processes and the list for each one would be massive (seeing as the HR process has a different stage for each type of employment).  Have you got some examples of how this works for others in a live environment?  

image.png

Hi @Tina.Lapere

Steves idea above is a good one; hide the service from the employee portal and then auto post updates from the Joint Processes service ticket BPM to the original HR request which the customer will be able to see on the self service. Customers will only be able to see the original ticket, and any ICT updates will be pushed into it to keep them updated. (just seen your update to this idea)

Other options I can think of include: hiding the catalogue items for the joint processes service so a customer can see the service and any linked tickets, but they won't be able to raise any new tickets against the service. This could be through the catalogue visibility option within the service against each CI, or simply updating the catalogue items to be only visible to the servicedesk. Trouble with this one is that customers would see the service, but if they drilled in they wouldn't have any options which could confuse, but they'd have the ability to see any tickets they've logged against the service and follow all updates.

Alternatively there is now an option to change the service against a logged ticket in the BPM, but it doesn't have to restart the BPM... So a new ticket is raised against the HR service, the ICT joint processes ticket is raised and linked to the original with the new BPM, that ICT BPM could then switch the service to a service & CI that the customer can see on the self service so that they can follow the updates but they won't be able to see the joint processes service at all, and the ICT BPM will continue as normal. Once the relevant ICT process steps have been completed the BPM could switch it back to the original ICT Joint processes service. This one isn't ideal as it could throw your reporting out for these requests depending on what you filter your reports on and/or how your analysts manage these tickets (as they'd be under a different service), however it would meet your initial requirement and it'd be relatively simple to configure.  

This is where you'd find the change service option in the BPM:

image.png

Just a couple of ideas, but I'll post back if I think of any others

• Like 1

Had a quick look at what you can update automatically via the BPM and it's very limited.  Not sure how it would be achieved other than via timeline updates which is not what we want.  We have chosen to use the stages/checkpoints for the main aspects of the call.  The timeline is just for communication between the customer and us.

image.png.3f6aef5178a3c238b988236e82503bfc.png

We also can't update the call manually as we wont have permission to see the HR calls due to the extra information they hold.  (Salary etc)

We also want to encourage people to update & view the call via the portal.  How would your suggestion work if we've emailed them from the ICT call and they've responded (via email if the call is hidden) and then want to check the progress?  We don't want people calling us to ask for updates (and HR wouldn't want people calling them to check for ICT aspects) - not that they would be able to provide it as they can't see our ICT calls.

I'm really interested to know how other customers deal with this.

@Tina.Lapere What updates do you commonly get asked about?

Looking at the HUD for the ICT stages I can't see anything that I would expect to know about as a customer - PO Raised means nothing to a new starter, Account Set up is something that I'd just expect to be there when I start, Laptop Rebuilt & Setup/Mobile Set Up are again things I just expect to happen in the background - all I care about is "Here's your laptop and/or phone" which I'd personally expect to be covered under the Induction anyway, and if not is a single additional checkpoint on the HR Request.

If the laptop/phone aren't ready for me on day one I'd expect to be raising a separate Service Request directly with IT to have one provided.

What I'd expect to happen here is that the original Request is raised with HR and that's all the Customer interacts with; it's HR who have a Request (for a new laptop, for example) with IT to support their Request, the Customer isn't involved in that one at all.

@Conor - I've changed the visibility of the catalogue items to be service desk.  At least they can see their call BUT at least they can't log a new call incorrectly (it may be confusing but I guess we'll only know for sure once live)  Thank you - I hadn't tried this as I assumed they wouldn't be able to see the call then.

image.thumb.png.a64381c1bceca664394a212af92359f3.png

@Steve Giller It's not actually the New Starter that would see this call it's actually the Manager who logged it.  I would agree that these mean nothing to the individual starting. 

I'm not the best person to answer your question as I don't deal with these calls however I know that the manager often asks if the account has been setup as they wish to send them emails, if the laptop is ready as they may wish to arrange a courier/day to come in and collect it (especially at the moment with people working mainly from home, the induction isn't the same at the moment so everything is up in the air). 

Your question has made me think we might need to revisit the actually naming of the checkpoints as you only see a small snippet of some of them and possibly aren't clear enough.  We deliberately left some checkpoints off too when maybe we should be showing them.  Thank you, we need to revisit these I think. 

Often you build things then when you go back and look at them again you spot other things you want to change/add.

A new portal and joint working means so many things to think about ..... throw covid on top and it's a rollarcoster!  Thanks both for your help I feel a little more relaxed now :-)

• Like 1