Progressive Capture switch - not switching BPM

AndyHill

I have setup a progressive capture (PC a) whereby if someone selects a particular question in the capture questions it switches to an alternate progressive capture (PC b) which works great. 

My problem is that after completing the second progressive capture (PC b) the call is still logged using the first PC's BPM (BPM a) I was expecting the system to switch to the second progressive captures BMP (BPM b)

Is there anyway to do achieve this so that if the PC switches from a to b then it logs using BPM b instead of BPM a. Without this the PC switch is a little useless for my current use case. 

Guest Mary

Hi @AndyHill

The service determines the business process on a request.

You may include the Update Request -> Service automation node in your business process to change the service on the logged request. This could be triggered by indicating maybe in a custom field a way of identifying the switch point in your progressive capture.  If the Assess BPM option is selected, a new instance of the new Service or Service Catalog process will be spawned.

See https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php?title=Service_Manager_Business_Process_Workflow for more details 

@Mary Thanks will take a look at that.

@Victor For the new self employee portal I want to provide one button for logging a fault. That opens a PC that queries the area of the fault; Windows, Hardware, SAP etc. A lot of these options will use the same BPM but in some cases I want to split off to another BPM for example for SAP. The steps I would want a SAP fault to take completely differ from that of say a Windows fault so I would like it to have its own BPM. Currently if SAP is selected in the initial PC I spawn it off to another PC assuming it would use the BPM associated with that PC.

@Mary That worked exactly as you suggested Mary but I now have the original BPM sitting suspended whilst the offshoot BPM ran to completion. I tried adding in an abort to the original BPM but get 

Last Updated On : 10:08 27-05-2021
A processing error has occurred

I also tried adding in a End Process but that gave errors around incomplete stage checkpoints. 

39 minutes ago, AndyHill said:

I now have the original BPM sitting suspended whilst the offshoot BPM ran to completion

@AndyHill the update service node has an "Asses BPM" (which should actually be named "Asses BP", not "BPM" but that's semantics). Having that enabled (Manual = Yes) will cancel the existing workflow and spawn the new one according to the new service and catalog item configuration...

@Victor it certainly doesn't cancel the existing workflow so I have built in an end process and set the end process element to complete the checkpoints. 

image.thumb.png.e648fd8ad1b8799e7197f6a94794da1b.png

This completes the first BP generated and the second BP obviously continues as planned. Only negative is when the user logs a call they initially see the call based on the first BP which then shortly updates to show the new one but that's a minor thing. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I read this with interest as I have the exact same issue.
Fires the new process fine but the old process (very similar to the above design) shows a failed at end process if I look in the "Managed executed processes" 

@Smurfy not sure we are talking about a fix yet, I am just discussing this with development. If it turns out a fix is needed, then we will have a defect reference. If we have you as a contact in our database you will get added as a connection to the defect and will receive an email notification as to when the fix is deployed. I will try and come back here with an update but depends on workload I might not be able to do it in time. In any case all fixes will be posted in Announcements section for every update.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello @Victor

I am using the same method to switch captures and BPMs, and have used the same method as AndyHill (below).   I noticed that the original Business process raised shows as 'completed' rather than cancelled.  Should it actually be cancelled?

I could not find KE00167657 so I assume it was resolved?

On 5/27/2021 at 11:01 AM, AndyHill said:

@Victor it certainly doesn't cancel the existing workflow so I have built in an end process and set the end process element to complete the checkpoints. 

image.thumb.png.e648fd8ad1b8799e7197f6a94794da1b.png

This completes the first BP generated and the second BP obviously continues as planned. Only negative is when the user logs a call they initially see the call based on the first BP which then shortly updates to show the new one but that's a minor thing. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm wanting to do this too, i.e. I have a switch capture in an IC but I want a different BPM to trigger when the capture it switches too is submitted. I've gotten a bit lost in the feed comments though 🤔.  I think I've gathered that there was an issue that's now been fixed so is someone able to provide a screen shot of what actually needs to be configured to achieve this please?

I must admit, I was expecting the IC switch capture node would have an option to select a catalog item that switched to the IC and then triggered the relevant BPM but assume there's a reason why Hornbill can't do this?? 

Thanks

Sam