Assigning Tickets - Round Robin

GSM

Hi all,

We have this working whereby if anyone e-mails into IT it automatically log the tickets, assigns it a P4, and assigns it to the IT Servicedesk team.

However, i think I've created the BPM incorrectly as if you try to "manually" raise a ticket using the raise a request feature in Hornbill and select yourself and or another engineer on another team or your own team and try to assign it, it ignore it and uses the round-robin feature to assign that ticket to someone random on the IT Servicedesk team.

What do i need to modify in my BPM (see pic) so that any manual raised tickets get assigned to to the right person and by pass the round-robin rule if that makes sense?

Untitled.jpg

11 minutes ago, Steve Giller said:

I'd get the Request Details, have a decision node and branch on whether the Owner is set, then only branch through the Round Robin node if it's not.

Hi Steve, when you say get request details are you saying at the very first node "Get Request Info" branch off and decide if owner is set and/or not and if it isn't connect to "Request Assigned to Team"? sorry i am very new to this, if you would be kind as to explain it to me it would be very much appreciated. 

25 minutes ago, Steve Giller said:

It doesn't have to be the first action, but a block something like this should do it:
image.png

With the "No Owner" branch being Get Request Details -> Owner -> Not Set

Muchas Gracias, does this look correct?

Capture.JPG

That does look correct, yes.

I would consider putting a second Get Request Details between Email Sent to Customer and Decision to cater for the unlikely scenario where the Request is assigned manually in the second or so it takes to fire up the Timers and send the initial email.

11 minutes ago, Steve Giller said:

I would consider putting a second Get Request Details between Email Sent to Customer and Decision to cater for the unlikely scenario where the Request is assigned manually in the second or so it takes to fire up the Timers and send the initial email.

That's worked a treat, thank you very much, Steve.:D

On 3/23/2021 at 5:11 PM, Steve Giller said:

Hi Steve,

Can i kindly pick your brains again, please?

Scenario 1: Engineer raises manual request using "Raise Request" feature, engineer specifies different team and specifies an owner on that team. Ticket assigns to other team as intended and notifies the owner. - FIXED Works, and thank you, Steve.

Scenario 2: Engineer raises manual request using "Raise Request" feature, engineer specifies different team but does not specify an owner on that team. Ticket assigns to other team as intended and notifies the team. -  BROKEN

In Scenario 2, what happens is the the team initially get an e-mail to say a ticket has been assigned to them, but the ticket ends up in the Servicedesk queue rather than theirs without an owner.

I've tried changing the "No Owner" line between decision and the round robin node to "No Team Assignment" and updated the expression, and while that initially appears to have fixed the issue, the end result was that i ended up breaking the auto-assignment to engineer node/rule. So all e-mails into the inbox were automatically being logged but not being assigned to an engineer on the SD team, so i reverted back.

Any ideas on how i can approach this so can ensure both S1/S2 work, and doesn't break the auto-logging and assignment of tickets, please?

Capture.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @GSM

Hi @GSM

From your comments, the process is working as you have configured i.e. allocate on a round robin basis to the team defined in the highlighted node if there is no owner on the request. Scenario 2 meets this criteria. Your business process is re-assigning the ticket on the highlighted node. 

You need a new decision node between the Get Request Info and Decision node shown below.  This new decision node checks the source of the request and if it is analyst, it goes to the Request Assigned to Team node.

If the source is not analyst, it goes to the decision node below

image.png.aa055530a4e66a7420e8040176b6dadc.png

I suspect it is configured to assign the request on a round robin basis to the Service Desk Team in which case it is working as expected if there is no owner on the request which is what i understand is being done is Scenario 2 above. 

1 hour ago, Mary said:

Hi @GSM

Hi @GSM

From your comments, the process is working as you have configured i.e. allocate on a round robin basis to the team defined in the highlighted node if there is no owner on the request. Scenario 2 meets this criteria. Your business process is re-assigning the ticket on the highlighted node. 

You need a new decision node between the Get Request Info and Decision node shown below.  This new decision node checks the source of the request and if it is analyst, it goes to the Request Assigned to Team node.

If the source is not analyst, it goes to the decision node below

image.png.aa055530a4e66a7420e8040176b6dadc.png

I suspect it is configured to assign the request on a round robin basis to the Service Desk Team in which case it is working as expected if there is no owner on the request which is what i understand is being done is Scenario 2 above. 

Thank you very much, Mary.

I've done exactly this and it does not appeared to have worked, please see my screenshots below

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

@GSM 

A picture is  worth a thousand words :)  

This screenshot shows the request source is Email not analyst as I interpreted scenario 2 ( an analyst raising a request manually from the request list view using the Raise New button). 

image.png.e15af2eaa5feff67455544d6d5b794fe.png

Please amend the source on your decision custom expression to Email and all would work.

1 hour ago, Mary said:

@GSM 

A picture is  worth a thousand words :)  

This screenshot shows the request source is Email not analyst as I interpreted scenario 2 ( an analyst raising a request manually from the request list view using the Raise New button). 

image.png.e15af2eaa5feff67455544d6d5b794fe.png

Please amend the source on your decision custom expression to Email and all would work.

Apologises, Mary. Still learning :)

This has worked, many thanks