Viewing requests updates the 'Last Updated Date'

HHH

After the last update to Service Manager we noted the following behaviour.
If your request list is sorted on "Last updated" and you go into a request to look at it without making any change or update, just look, and then go to the request list again, the request list will have resorted putting the recently viewed request at top (or bottom depending on sort order) and the column "Last updated" says "seconds ago".
I filed a support ticket about this and was told it's a feature and expected behaviour, something I find rather odd since most if not all of our analysts have reported this as a bug.
Please allow for somehow going back to the previous behaviour where you actually had to "do" something to trigger an update event since this is causing a lot of confusion for our analysts.

• Like 2

Hi.

In Service Manager, if you are the owner of a request and you open it, even if you don't make any update to the request, the last updated date is updated with the date/time when you opened it. (this doesn't happen if you are not the owner of the request)

In my opinion, this doesn't make any sense. Why is the last updated information of a request being updated if there was no update to the request at all?!

Can this be changed? At least having a Service Manager setting to deny this behaviour?

Our analysts often use this data to sort the requests list so they can manage better the requests they own and this is messing things up.

Thanks and regards,

Alberto

@HHH, I've just raised a post here some minutes ago about the same. I raised a support ticket as well and it's strange that is is a expected behaviour. 

This doesn't make any sense. Our analysts very often use this data to help on following up their requests.

• Like 2

Just to clarify, this is not a change due to a recent update, this is behaving as designed.

As this has been raised as an issue, the Service Manager team are looking at options to align the way the UI responds to match expectations. If possible, we will aim to get something in for the next build, due to be available in the 3rd week of March

• Like 1

This is causing a lot of confusion as we use when a ticket has been updated to know when a ticket has actually been updated - not opened!

Can this be rectified immediately as it is not behaving as designed by definition of the word updated.

Apologies but aiming to have it in the next build does not give me confidence that it is going to be fixed any time soon.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, I Musgrave said:

Apologies but aiming to have it in the next build does not give me confidence that it is going to be fixed any time soon.

The work on this has already been completed, and will be available in the next build.

• Like 1

Since the Service Manager updates last week when analysts are going in to tickets assigned to them they are seeing the last updated by and last updated dates change to reflect when they have opened the ticket. 

Normally this should only change when the analyst actually performs an action within the ticket and not simply by opening it. 

This is really throwing off the reporting a number of managers do to ensure analysts are keeping their tickets up to date.

Hello,

When I open a request that has me as the owner and then go back to the Request List view, it shows that the request was last updated 'seconds ago', even though I haven't updated it. Is this normal behaviour?

Many thanks,
Alisha

Guest Paul Davis

The behaviour noted above is, of course, a product defect and is believed to have been an issue that has been around for some time and not introduced by the last update of the Service Manager application. This would mean that the issue was gone unnoticed until very recently. One reason why this might might be the case is that the issue is only seen if the owner of the request is the one to view the request and only then if there is not an update for them to read. In other words, if the request owner either opens the request to perform an action (and so legitimately causing the Last Updated field to change) or simply notices they have an update to review, then there is no anomaly and the Last Updated field retains its integrity.

The defect has already been fixed and will be available in the next update of the application. This is scheduled to be released in the third week of March, although will be subject to the progress of internal testing. 

On 3/11/2021 at 10:06 AM, Paul Davis said:

The behaviour noted above is, of course, a product defect and is believed to have been an issue that has been around for some time and not introduced by the last update of the Service Manager application. This would mean that the issue was gone unnoticed until very recently. One reason why this might might be the case is that the issue is only seen if the owner of the request is the one to view the request and only then if there is not an update for them to read. In other words, if the request owner either opens the request to perform an action (and so legitimately causing the Last Updated field to change) or simply notices they have an update to review, then there is no anomaly and the Last Updated field retains its integrity.

The defect has already been fixed and will be available in the next update of the application. This is scheduled to be released in the third week of March, although will be subject to the progress of internal testing. 

Hi Paul, just for your information this is definitely an issue following something in the latest updates. We closely monitor the update time on calls owned by our Service Desk (reported on daily) so if this had been around for some time we would most certainly have come across it. This issue was noticed immediately after the last build release.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Ehsan

apparently it's not 100% fixed, as reported by one of my colleagues: "Whilst they have fixed this issue, there is now the issue where if someone else updates your call and you go in to the call to look at it, it changes the last updated by to me and changes the last updated date/time too"

Regards,

Alberto

Guest Ehsan

Hi @Alberto M,

The symptom that you describe there is indeed the issue that was reported on this thread and addressed in the last Service Manager build. Furthermore I am not able to recreate it on a Hornbill instance since the automated update. Could I suggest the impacted user to refresh the browser and try again please?

Ehsan