Shared mailbox not connecting/updating

RobW

Hi, I have a shared mailbox (used by our Estates) department which last updated in Hornbill around 8 days ago.

It was set up by my predecessor to connect via pop3 to outlook.office365.com - checked and all settings in Hornbill are identical to the servicedesk inbox which is still working. 

I've been able to log in directly to the estates mailbox via Office 365 using the password we have recorded in our password vault however when trying to test the connection in Hornbill I constantly get the below.

I'm stumped so would appreciate any advice on where to look next.......thanks!

Unable to login to POP3 server.
HornbillMailApiLog:
  Pop3Authenticate:
    DllDate: Sep 28 2020
    ChilkatVersion: 9.5.0.84
    UnlockPrefix: HRNBLL.CBX102021
    Architecture: Little Endian; 64-bit
    Language: Visual C++ 2019 / x64
    VerboseLogging: 0
    Pop3Authenticate:
      username: estatehelpdesk@**********
      popSPA: 0
      PopCmdSent: USER estatehelpdesk@**********
      PopCmdResp: +OK
      PopCmdSent: PASS ****
      PopCmdResp: -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
      POP3 response indicates failure.
      PASS_response: -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

POP3 authentication failed
    --Pop3Authenticate
    Failed.
  --Pop3Authenticate
--ChilkatLog

6 hours ago, Steve Giller said:

This error does seem to indicate that the username or password are being rejected by your mail server.

If you haven't done so already it's probably worth reviewing the wiki article to ensure you've not missed anything.

Thanks Steve - this is a very strange one. I've reviewed the article (this mailbox was set up a couple of years ago and the last change on the account prior to these issues was about 12 months ago when we updated the password and successfully tested.

The error does seem to indicate that the password is being rejected by the mail server however the interesting bit is that I'm able to log into Office 365 directly using the same credentials.

I've changed the password to another suitably complex one and successfully tested using Office 365 so tried updating Hornbill and get the same result.

Will raise with our infrastructure team in case there's any replication / synchronisation issues which I'm not aware of and/or don't have visibility of. 

Hi @Victor and @Steve Giller - still no success with this one.

Our Infrastructure Manager has tested POP3 access with this mailbox using MS Diagnostic Tools which showed a pass but then checked and updated the connection in Hornbill only to have it fail using the same credentials.

Our Infrastructure Manager then tried recreating the inbound mail connection in Hornbill and was able to successfully test however once the connection was saved it went back to constantly failing.

I'm absolutely stumped now.