Allow priority mapping from customer progressive capture to request

Aaron Carter

Hello,

I was stumped by an issue where I could add a 'Priority' form to a progressive capture used through the employee portal, map the response priority to the request priority in the subsequent business process, but the priority on the created request would not be set. I was told by a hornbill rep last week that this is because the priority field is not synced as a development decision when customers raise requests. The decision reason given was that customers can't be trusted to accurately define a priority as anything other than high (an odd reason considering customers choose a priority when raising a support ticket to Hornbill - I noticed this during this mornings' errors).

I am unsure as to why this decision is made for us and is not properly expressed during the progressive capture and business process. To make this more frustrating, the form actually appears when creating a ticket through the employee portal and lets you select a priority without issue. This is extremely misleading. If there are any more cases of black box logic, is there a way to make them visible during set up? it will save time and frustration

We were shown a very labor intensive workaround for this, using custom forms in the progressive capture and decisions trees to map priorities in the business process to the custom form responses. This makes what should be an automated mapping something that needs manual handling and upkeep in nearly every business process and progressive capture we use.

Please can the priority forms used in the employee portal map to the request?

Thanks

Aaron

• Thanks 1

@Aaron Carter thanks for the post.  

We are currently working on progressive capture enhancements, and as part of this work, we will be enabling the priority form to work for the customers as well as it does currently for the support agents.  This work is ongoing, but will be completed soon, and once tested it will be pushed out in an update to all customers. 

Once available, it will enable you to use the priority form on the progressive capture flows on the self service portals, so your customers can update the priority of the tickets they are raising. 

In the meantime the workaround which you mentioned in the bpm with mapping priorities from progressive capture custom values is available, albeit with the extra work it entails. 

Hope this helps. 

Steve

Thanks for the info @Steven Boardman, It's good to know this is being fixed.

I remain concerned about the concept that it is ok to build progressive captures that don't interact with business processes without warning. The priority isn't mapped across so why is the box visible in the employee portal and why is there no warning of this lack of interaction? It would be nice to at least separate out forms that only work in certain areas of hornbill so it is clear what can and cannot be used. Otherwise, we waste time on head-scratching "but it should be working!" scenarios that nobody enjoys.

Was I misinformed on the reason for the priority mapping? From your response it sounds more as though there are complications that need workarounds to implement the feature vs. it being an active decision not to allow customers to do this.

thanks

Aaron

@Aaron Carter it certainly isn't the intention to make the configuration of Hornbill confusing, and we are always looking to improve the user experience.  An example of this would be making it visible if different pc forms are only intended for use in specific interfaces (agent / end user).  

I don't think you were misinformed, the information it sounds like you were given was accurate in the sense, that to achieve an outcome of allowing the customer to select a priority and for it to be used on the request would involve custom PC questions and mappings via the business process engine.  

What has been accepted, is that a better solution is to allow you as the designer to decide if you want to use the priority form in your end suer facing progressive capture's, and not for Hornbill to determine that. As such the priority pc form will be extended to work in any pc flow (Agent or customer facing).

The points you make about it being frustrating and time consuming to find out the priority form couldn't be used in the end user pc's is valid feedback, and we will look at address this going forward, and make the experience of configuring and Hornbill better. 

@Aaron Carter no definitive timeframe i'm afraid, however the work is pretty much complete, but as this (priority piece) is just one part of the bigger re-factoring of the progressive capture work, there is a fair amount of testing etc which needs to follow, which makes it difficult to give timelines's on it. The testing has to be completed and any issues addressed before it is released in an update. 

Hopefully this won't take too long to complete and release.