Advice please regarding BPM configuration and decision making

Hello all,

I'm after some guidance please regarding BPM configuration and decision making.

I've successfully configured a PCF, based on the answers selected driving different questions in the form. I now need the BPM, to reflect those behaviours I've set in the PCF

The first question in the PCF drives two options. I'm looking for these options to change how the SR is assigned to and a different priority.

answer 1 assigned to Support Team W and Priority X

answer 2 assigned to Support Team Y and Priority Z.

All of our business processes have the Get Request Details node. If I have the question in the PCF written to in a custom variable, what is the best way of injecting the answer from that question and then following the process above?

Or am I better looking at some of the other BPMs configured in some of the other topics on the forum to use the  Get Progressive Capture Answers node, and then use that node to base my decision making?

Many Thanks.

Adam

I'm not sure either are "better" per se.
If you set the question up as follows:
image.png

Then the Branch in the BPM as:
image.png

That will work in the same way as if you mapped the field to h_custom_a and then branched on the value in the Custom Field.

As far as I can see, the main difference would be if you want to use the answer in an email - then you would want it in the Custom Field so you could template the variable easily.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Adam Toms

Get PCF Answer

• Pro: less resource intensive workflow and PCF as you don't have to store data in a custom field just for the purpose of evaluating a value
  • Cons: less flexibility as workflow and PCF are tied together, changes in PCF needs to be reflected in workflow (i.e. if the custom forms/fields are changed)

Get Request Details -> Custom Field

• Pro: more flexibility as workflow and PCF are independent apart from the mapping, as long as the mapping to custom field is preserved, the PCF can be changed in any way without having to amend the workflow
  • Cons: more resource intensive workflow and PCF as you have to store and retrieve data in/from a custom field just for the purpose of evaluating a value

Up to you which one would be better suited for you :) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Victor,

I was just trying to understand if there was a best practise.

Thanks for explaining the pros and cons to both.

I've gone down the custom field route, as that has been the method that has been working for us, and I'm familiar with that process. Through reading the forum and seeing what other customers have done  I saw that others have used the get PCF answer, and wondered if we were missing a trick.

I'm nearly complete with the bpm building, so hopefully I'll be able to start testing over the next few days.

Thanks again for both yours and Steve's help.

• Like 1