ITOM Runbooks

AndyGilly

Hi @Ricky

thanks for this, i can see how i create a request. what i was hoping to do was create some tasks with the request dependent on input parameters to the runbook.

In service manager the creation of a task is within the Human Task node which doesnt seem to be available in ITOM??

Also, when creating the request i can not see how i would set the customer of the request (at creation). It seems to assume you are creating a request from within a request. Do you know if it possible to set the customer of the request via a input parameter to the runbook?

thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,  apologies it looks like in my previous post I am referring to logging a request and assigning it to an existing request,  to log a new request you need to use the Cloud Automation Node and select the method highlighted in the image below: 

image.png

Mot sure myself with regards to creating tasks, I will ask one of the Service Manager team to have look and see if its possible.

Ricky

@Ricky

thanks for that , using the cloud automation works better

are you able to help with the 2nd part? We would like to build tasks against the created request. In service manager BPM designer the creation of a task is within the Human Task node which doesnt seem to be available in ITOM??

@AndyGilly

I have asked the question internally, and it looks like currently that feature is not available via a Runbook.  I am waiting from a response from the development teams with regards to enabling this feature, and will get back to you once i have further details.

Ricky

• Like 1

@AndyGilly

Unfortunately it is not possible to use the Human Task node as provided within the BMP as it would block the process from completing until the task was completed. 

I will have look to see if there are any other methods that can used to do something similar.

Ricky  

Hi @Ricky

if you mean the service manager process. Then i know a colleague at Hornbill has recently released an update that allows us to turn on a setting that allows BPMs to be completed even if tasks are outstanding.  See the link

In this use case the runbook will be only creating the SR not resolving it.

Do you think this makes a difference?

thanks

Andy

Hi @AndyGilly

The issue is with the Runbook Process, in that the Human Task node will suspend the Runbook Process, waiting for user input.  There was a design decision to remove all actions that have the protentional to suspend Runbook processes.   I have been looking at possible workarounds that can be put in place, by moving the creation of tasks into a business process.  This would involve temporarily storing the task details in a custom field and using the details to populate the Human Task from within the Requests Business Process.

This would of course link the task to the BPM which would be suspend until all tasks were completed. 

I will also have a discussion with our development to see if there is any possibility in providing a feature similar to the Human Task that does not suspend the Runbook Process, possibly via a Cloud Automation.

Regards,

Ricky