Auto escalation SLA - Response SLA breach triggered on request which was already Resolved?

Adrian Simpkins

Hi All,

We have introduced automated SLA's across our Services this week, and these were all swapped over across all our Services on Monday.

However, i have a request which was in a Resolved/Closed status which triggered the Response breach SLA timer after it was resolved / closed? The request timeline flows like this:

- raised on 5/11 when old SLA was in place 

- SLA swapped on the Service this was raised against on Monday the 10th (I believe this was swapped in the morning on the 10th - see 2nd line below showing the change in SLA)

- Assigned to a team member on the 10th at 1.45pm

- shows change of SLA on the request at 1.45pm on the 10th - would this be because it was raised against the old SLA on the 5th but assigned to a team member on the 10th which meant the system auto updated the assigned SLA against the Service?

- resolved at 1.48pm on the 10th

- closed by one of the Team engineers at the same time on the 10th at 1.48pm

- Response SLA triggered on the 11th at 3.21pm advising that the Response SLA has reached 90% of the target (request was resolved / closed at this point)

- Response SLA triggered on the 12th at 11.26am advising the Response Timer has breached (again request was resolved / closed at this point).

What i wanted to understand is why this triggered still even when the request was Resolved? Would it be to do with swapping the SLA on the live Service on Monday 'resetting' the timers so that the system missed the Response timer?

Many thanks as always

Adrian

Hi @Adrian Simpkins

Thanks for the post and the timeline of events, could you confirm when the response target itself was marked?  Just trying to confirm if these escalations that are incorrectly firing are as a result of the SLA change, so it would be useful to know when the response was marked and whether the request was on-hold or not at the time of the SLA change.

Kind Regards,

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi David,

Thank you for the response.

The Response target shows as breached (1st screen shot below), and the Timeline shows a change in SLA at the time the request was assigned to the Analyst (2nd screen shot). The request did not go on hold at any point - looking at the updated SLA it looks like it reset the original SLA set on the 5th on the 12th so in effect looks like the Response timer was reset by the change in the SLA.

I am presuming this is just due to changeover of the SLA on the live service but just wanted to confirm this :) 

Many thanks!

image.png.63cc0b534f9e18cfbe7e474cc601b6ca.png

image.png.3eb54cb0c4c92ba3f0589083b0ef54dc.png

image.png

@Adrian Simpkins

Ah ok...  so it simply looks like the response timer has never been marked... therefore the timer and escalations will remain active until you reach the relevant stage of your BPM process where you call the BPM Node Timer -> Mark Response Time  . In this scenario the change of status to resolved or closed will not automatically mark the response timer.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi @Adrian Simpkins

It all depends on your BPM process being used for the request and where within that process the Timer -> Mark Response Time node is placed, we do not automatically mark it on any one specific action as every customer will make their own business decision as to what point in the process it should be marked so you should use the node in your BPM at the appropriate stage.

The change of SLA will update the targets, but if the target has already been marked then it will not generate any new timers/events for that request.

Does that help to answer your question?

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

The BPM behind this catalogue item marks the Response Timer straight after the status is set to Open so I would have expected it to trigger when it was picked up by the Analyst at 1.45. Its not a massive issue but I wanted to understand if this same scenario may occur on any other requests that were active under the old SLA when I swapped this over to the new SLA on Monday so i can communicate this to all teams to make them aware that this may happen on other requests.

Thanks

image.png.dfbcf7b2354a2c242632998a0695115d.png

image.png

Hi @Adrian Simpkins

I would have expected the node to correctly mark the response and end the timers, but with the change over and the SLA change then its possible that this is causing a scenario with an issue that I have not seen before.  If this persists with requests logged after the change over then by all means come back and we can take a further look.

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1