Check for change of priority

Alisha

Hello,

We're creating a new Business Process to cater for critical escalations, so it has 5 stages: Triage, Critical Incident, In Progress, Critical Incident Escalation and Resolution.

If the Incident already has a Critical priority, we want it to skip the Critical Incident Escalation stage and go straight to the Resolution. If the priority is High or below, we want it to check if the Priority has changed in the In Progress stage. I have used a suspend 'Wait for Request Update' node, but this doesn't recognise the update when we change the Priority - we have to add another Update for the process to move along. Is there an easier way to achieve this please?

Many thanks,
Alisha

If I understand this correctly, you want a node in the "In Progress" stage to check whether the Request has been escalated (or possible de-escalated) before moving on to the Critical Incident Escalation/Resolution stage?

I think the simplest way to achieve this would be to have a Get Request Details then push the Priority into a Custom Field at the start of the Process (or any appropriate point) and then when you want to test you have another Get Request Details and compare the current Priority to the Custom Field. If they match, the Priority hasn't changed, if not, it has.

If I've misunderstood and you're wanting to manually check the the Request has the correct Priority and update it if not, then rather than an Update I'd suggest using a Human Task and branching on the outcome - you can select the correct Priority (or no change) as an outcome in the Task, then if necessary update the Priority via the BPM.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Steve Giller,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I've used the Custom Field P to save the Priority in the first stage. This works well to check the Priority but we do still need a Suspend node otherwise the Business Process will go straight through and not let us change the Priority if needed. Is there a way we can do this? I could only see Suspend 'Wait for Request Update' but if anyone updates the request normally, it would still go through the Business Process. If I use 'Wait for new Request Owner' I can't assign the request to myself again.

Many thanks,
Alisha

@Alisha I think the only way to force the Process to wait and give you the opportunity to change the Priority while still allowing you to keep the existing one is with a Human Task.
I would be thinking of something like this:

image.png

With the Human Task something like the below - obviously adjusting the values for Priority to match yours (along with the Decision outcomes):

image.png
You could set an expiry time so that it's not hanging there indefinitely if the Task is not completed if desired.

• Thanks 1