BP/Workflow errors in SM build 2041

Victor
Message added by Victor,

A patch update for Service Manager app has now been deployed in all instances that were affected by this issue

Hornbill configured this originally themselves, Bob in fact configured it...

One more question while I am at it, re the API key and the expiry date, can I extend the date on this myself to reflect when I want or do I have to wait for this one to expiry and then create a new one again etc?

17 hours ago, John C said:

Victor made a change and created a new API

@John C

I am sorry but I have never made any changes to your instance nor to any customer instance unless it was requested specifically by a customer (not the case here). The change you are referring to was made by yourself following you posting an API key for your instance in the public section of the forums. Via a private conversation I have advised at that time, with urgency, to delete that key from your instance as it was now (then) a security flaw.

Here is the extract from the conversation regarding this aspect:

"for security purposes, you should delete this key from your instance as soon as possible. In case anyone (else) has seen the key they could use it to access your instance.

To avoid this and contain the potential security breach I strongly advise to delete this key from your instance and generate a new one that you can send it to me privately, in this conversation"

30 minutes ago, John C said:

poor service I have to say

What service is this?

@Victor Apologies Victor, I thought you created it, the sync has not been working since the new API was created, 28/10

Re the poor service, I logged this yesterday and Steve sent several replies without an actual fix which I found and resolved myself this morning, about 4 hours wasted in the meantime however, plus new users not being able to log tickets etc.

It would of been advisable at the time if you could of told me that this change with the new API needed configuring...this did all stem from Hornbills new update which auto installed and contained a bug of some type...

@John C

5 hours ago, John C said:

I logged this yesterday and Steve sent several replies without an actual fix

The term "logged" implies a formal request for the service you mention. A request/call/ticket is logged and usually, a reference is provided to keep track of the said request. There is no such thing on the forums, there is nothing logged or raised. The community forums are a platform made available by Hornbill for forum users (customers) and Hornbill staff to discuss various topics related to our product. It can be issues, suggestions, best practices, etc. The engagement happens via forum posts or threads. It means our community forums are exactly what the term suggests, a place where people meet to discuss various topics. The forum or should not be seen as a reporting tool for issues, it is neither designed for this nor used like this by Hornbill. I might be misunderstanding but it appears to be you are looking at the forum from this perspective which will inevitably create an incorrect expectation in terms of what service you expect and the service we provide.

Any customer subscribed to the Hornbill service is also automatically subscribed to Essential Success plan (included in the subscription price). Customer looking for more options and services can opt to subscribe to an enhanced success plan for an additional cost. The most common choice for an enhanced success plan is Premier Success which gives the option to customers to raise formal support requests with Hornbill and other benefits (e.g. free credits for expert services).

Hornbill staff engagement on forums is high and we aim to participate in all relevant conversations but Hornbilll engagement should not be taken as granted nor should be expected within certain timeframes. Hornbill staff participation on forums is on a best endeavour basis (same as other forum users most likely) and while we engage in most conversations it will be possible that we miss some of them as other work might take precedence.

Keeping the above in mind, I think is a bit unfair to categorise Steve's engagement as "poor service" given there was no service to be expected in the first place (better said there should have not been any expectation regarding the service). 

this did all stem from Hornbills new update which auto installed and contained a bug of some type

Indeed this is how the whole conversation started. We unreservedly apologise for the issue (bug) we introduced and the troubles it had or might have caused. We engaged with all our affected customers and provided assistance in fixing the issue and any other areas affected by this. Some fixes required accessing the instance itself, which was the case here. To access the instance we needed an API key. This is where things went a bit wrong as the API key you provided was a) an API key used by your integrations which should never be made public, new API keys can always be created and b) the API key was posted by you in the forum post at which point was irremediably compromised for a security perspective due to the public nature of the forums. We expected neither of the above to happen nor we thought they can happen. 

It would of been advisable at the time if you could of told me that this change with the new API needed configuring...

And I would have certainly advised as such but at no point I thought it is a key you use elsewhere and did not expect to be made public which required urgent action. Something we will definitely keep in mind if such an unfortunate event occurs again, no matter how unlikely it might be.

I am sorry you felt disappointed by the whole event and the follow-ups and I hope the above helps in clarifying what exactly can and should be expected in the scenario.

If at any point you feel that Hornbill staff does not provide the service you have subscribed for or you are unhappy with the service provided here or elsewhere in Hornbill you can bring this into the attention of our customer success team and management team via escalation@hornbill.com

• Like 1

@Victor I am not going to get into a to and fro with what I expect re service etc as that has dimminshed by now...

Re the forum your mention and support etc, being a member of a forum fair enough, but one has actually paid over 5K per annum to be a "member" of this forum which others do not cost as much or near it....

Let us "all" keep things in perspective here...as previously mentioned this whole issue did stem from an error on Hornbills side......

Thank you (I won't post anything again here instead)

@John C the perspective you are referring to is an issue caused by Hornbill or an error on Hornbill side? If yes then just to clarify, formal support is not available on forums for any customer on Essentials Success plan regardless of the nature of the issue which includes, and not limited to, issues and errors caused by Hornbill.

Although we aim to provide assistance to all customers, there is still not a 100% guarantee that we will be able to provide assistance via community forums even on issues caused by Hornbill.

I will also mention that all registered users on our forums are Hornbill subscribers, regardless of how much that subscription costs. If there are any queries regarding this cost I would suggest to get in touch with our Customer Success team for any further queries.