Grouping roles?

Alisha

Hello,

Is it possible to group out of the box roles so that we can apply just one role to a new IT starter when they join?

I know we can create custom roles, but just wondered if we could make it easier to create one basic IT user role. Also having the ability to group our custom roles would be useful.

Many thanks,
Alisha

Hi @James Ainsworth,

Sorry, we've discovered that some ticks appeared automatically but some ticks that were needed did not appear, and the analyst testing the role got the below error. Going through 17 pages of Database Rights and checking what is needed is quite time consuming. Is there any easier way please?

Many thanks,
Alisha

Database Rights.png

Hi Alisha,

Personally, I wouldn't advise creating a single custom role that includes all of the rights from the default roles.  As updates occur and we add new fields to the database, you will find that you are constantly having to manage the custom role as and when agents report errors such as the database one above.  The custom roles are useful for small manageable rights that you may want to amend to some users, but best to stick with the provided roles where possible.

Regards,

James

37 minutes ago, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Alisha,

I also wanted to mention that it is possible that the ability to use Templates when creating users could be available as soon as the end of next week.

Regards,

James

I'm looking forward to this feature.  Will there also be functionality for this within the BPM by any chance?

Thanks,

Samuel

On 10/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Alisha,

I also wanted to mention that it is possible that the ability to use Templates when creating users could be available as soon as the end of next week.

Regards,

James

Any update if this is going to be available soon?  This is a very significant upgrade that will really make our role management much more efficient.

Thanks,

Bobby

On 10/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Alisha,

Regards,

James

Thank you @James Ainsworth

Is it possible to have the ability to use the template for existing users as well please?

Hi @James Ainsworth

Just adding something from @BobbyB:

What would really help with the roles is the ability to create 'groups'. So we'd have a group for all of IT called 'IT - Standard' for example. Then we can have layers above that, like 'IT - Enhanced' etc. for different roles. So instead of an IT User having 30 different roles they would only have 3 groups. Then if we wanted add something new to everyone, we could just add that role to the Group role and everyone would be updated with just one action. This is really beneficial for accuracy and auditing.