Discrepancies between Reports and Views

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

I'm trying to run a report to find how many of a particular type of incident we've logged since 1st of Jan this year. 

I've created a View with these filters which bring back 8737 results.:

image.thumb.png.63e3060692f653034d53a6009ad05028.png

However, if I then copy those same parameters into a report, then I only get 4391 results. 

image.thumb.png.269fabfe98b021239f63629288b9d203.png

Am I doing something wrong here? And which one is 'right' please?! 

thanks

Potentially the report date logged value wrong? Should that not be beginning of this year or change to greater than 31-12-2019?

Alternatively maybe use catalog id and enter the relevant id number, as maybe 'Suspicious Session detected' was changed?

Also the SLAs are spelt differently, not sure if that makes a difference, I can't see why personally.

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Jeremy and @James Ainsworth

Thanks for the suggestions...

I've changed the date logged, and swapped the catalog name to catalog ID, but I'm still only getting 4400 items in the report (while getting more than 8700 in the 'view' with the same filters) :

image.thumb.png.4717343d43bc36969b05418359b452fc.png

@Jeremy - you were right, the Catalog name HAD changed within this time period, however only 47 requests were logged with the 'old' catalog name, so that unfortunately still doesn't account for the big difference in numbers! 

Thanks...

Hi @Paul Alexander

My starting point would be first not to use such a big data set. So perhaps change your logged date to something 01/07/2020 or even 01/08/2020 - so you have far fewer records returned. 
Then start perhaps with just:

* Request Type = Incident
* Date Logged > 01/07/2020 00:00:00

And see if the values match between Reporting and the Request List filter
If they do, then begin adding on each extra piece of criteria one by one and comparing - and at least then we should be able to see what produces the significant request difference and go from there. 

Kind Regards

Bob

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Bob Dickinson

I think I've got it now.....the original report was asking for items where the 'catalog ID' is NOT '1245', which it did, BUT it was also NOT bringing back requests where the CatalogID was NULL (so requests which were logged against the top level service, rather than using a specific CI).

I'm assuming that the VIEW doesn't filter these items out, hence the discrepancy?

I'm now using THIS filter, which seems to be bringing back the right amount of requests:

image.thumb.png.af88c1afcc69dbedc01b345024815298.png

Hi @Paul Alexander

Yes I think this is actually some standard SQL behaviour. I say that because I have seen this on another post when configuring a widget: 

So the request list view must be accomodating this scenario behind the scenes which means it INCLUDES the null results (and hence is correct)

Kind Regards

Bob