Marking/tagging requests for service management records

Michael Sharp

Hi all,

I want to be able to capture all requests where I have raised service issues (and preferably per engineer).  Currently I tag members of the team throughout the day where I feel service could be improved or sometimes compliment/reprimand but short of making my own separate record, I'm unable to pull that information from Hornbill.

I wondered how other service desk managers using Hornbill tackle this or may be able to suggest a good practice to help capture these events?

Ideally I'd like to add one or multiple labels or tags to a request e.g. SRV-MS (service improvement, Mike Sharp), ISS-BJ (issue, Barry Jones), COM-JB (compliment, Joe Brown).

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Michael,

We do have a plan to introduce tags to requests.  I think that this will be a great feature.  If you are familiar with Document Manager and how the tags work there, we will have something very similar.  We may be starting with adding tags to assets and then once that is in place we can look again at tags for requests.  I'll add you to the change for request tags.

Regards,

James

Thanks for this @James Ainsworth - would be great if you could automatically populate the tag field on the back end using text entries for example a post might be:
”@Michael Sharp why wasn’t this done as scheduled? #SRV-MS”

Obviously no appreciation as to how difficult that may be on the back end but would be slicker in my opinion.

Mike. 

In a way, you could already add #tag to an update and then use the global search for requests using the timelines and search for that tag.  

There are a lot of areas on a request for text fields.  When you start to look at having to monitor the timeline, and other fields within the description for a hash tag it becomes a big piece of work.  You would also need to consider removing tags where they were wrongly tagged, and then we start to deal with one person needing to edit someone else's comment or post to remove an invalid tag.  Then there is the tag suggestions... as you type it should suggest tags that are similar to what you are writing so that it reduces variations of a tag being entered.  And then there are language translations.  A huge amount of work and unlikely to be done in this way any time soon.  

On the other hand we have an existing component that we can easily plug-in.  It already includes the following

• The tag component is always visible which will be added to the request form on the right hand side
  • You don't have to add an update to a request to add a tag
  • You can control if you want users to add their own tags or only select from a list of defined tags
  • You can easily clear a tag from a request if it was incorrectly added
  • There are language translations so you can provide one tag in multiple languages.
  • Prevents duplicate tags on the same request
  • Tag Cloud visualisation for trending purposes

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 7:22 PM, James Ainsworth said:

In a way, you could already add #tag to an update and then use the global search for requests using the timelines and search for that tag.  

There are a lot of areas on a request for text fields.  When you start to look at having to monitor the timeline, and other fields within the description for a hash tag it becomes a big piece of work.  You would also need to consider removing tags where they were wrongly tagged, and then we start to deal with one person needing to edit someone else's comment or post to remove an invalid tag.  Then there is the tag suggestions... as you type it should suggest tags that are similar to what you are writing so that it reduces variations of a tag being entered.  And then there are language translations.  A huge amount of work and unlikely to be done in this way any time soon.  

On the other hand we have an existing component that we can easily plug-in.  It already includes the following

• The tag component is always visible which will be added to the request form on the right hand side
  • You don't have to add an update to a request to add a tag
  • You can control if you want users to add their own tags or only select from a list of defined tags
  • You can easily clear a tag from a request if it was incorrectly added
  • There are language translations so you can provide one tag in multiple languages.
  • Prevents duplicate tags on the same request
  • Tag Cloud visualisation for trending purposes

@James Ainsworth is this plug-in available or is this something you are suggesting is coming? We would like this please and perhaps a wiki page to get up and running :)

Mike.