Sub-Libraries

Frank Reay

I am new to this area of the system so excuse me if this has already been addressed.

Is it possible for us to have Sub-Libraries? We currently only seem to be able to go 1 level deep whereas we would like a concept of sub-folders.

This would help us enormously in being able to structure dozens of docs and make them easier to group. We have held back from using Doc Manager as we don't want dozens and dozens of Libraries all at the same level.

Thanks.

Hi,

Unfortunately we don't have any concept of hierarchical folder structures in document manager.  One option is to use tagging against documents, as libraries can be filter by tag.

It is possible to add any number of tags to each document on the document property page.  When you view a Library you will see a list of all the tags that are associated with documents in that library at the top of the list.  You are then able to filter that library for documents only containing a specific tag by clicking on that tag.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Trevor H 

• 6 months later...

Hi @TrevorHarris, You say you do not have the concept of hierarchical folder structures,  this is at the current time, however can this be put forward as an enhancement please? We also have a large amount of documents that would benefit from being able to be placed in sub libraries for Portal display to customers.

Using tags is fie internally but I can't see anywhere that a portal user would be able to search by tags, or search at all to be honest. Thanks

Hi @TrevorHarris, Thanks for that, I can see that on the My Documents link in the Customer Portal. However, we have various documents spread across multiple Libraries that have been linked directly to a Service, so that only documents relating to that service are visible. There is no way to search, use tags or view documents in an organised structure when viewed this way.

Martin

image.png.6ee87ba88c040d2c4776b3adefa0e53e.png

image.png

• Like 1

Hi,

The tag filtering is only available in libraries in document manager - you are correct when documents are attached to a service there is no searching/filtering available there, unfortunately I don't think we will be able to add tag filtering or any other structures here in the near future.  I can add a filter option so that the list can be filtered by title/description - this should be available document manager release

Thanks

Trevor

Hi @TrevorHarris Thanks for the reply. That certainly would help although it still falls short imo.  Would it be possible to provide a mechanism for the global My Documents area to be applied by service category perhaps? We have a number of different business areas that we wish to only display the relevant document libraries to on the customer portal. That would  enable the tags and filtering to be used to a far greater effect. Thanks

image.png.170422a767d16fce4726739df58bc986.png

• Like 1