Creating (duplicating) a request from an existing one

NickH

Hi all,

We've just on-boarded to HB and are currently testing our Change workflow before go live. During some demo's a couple of uses have noted our current (and very basic) system has the ability to create a new Change from one that already exists, i.e. it copies the details into a new one, at which point the requester can change any of the minor differing details - I.e. the software version in the description.

Can any more experienced users highlight how they do this, or how you might go about it please?

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

Another way to raise one request from another is to use the Link action on a request.  This will bring across some of the details of the original change. 

image.png

We are also planning for some more functionality around this.  We are looking a the ability to copy an entire request as well as providing more options to select exactly what you would like to brings across when raising a new request.  The options would be similar to the BPM options mentioned above, but will be able to be done manually, outside of the BPM. 

I'll add our interest to the changes that we have in our backlog.

Regards,

James

• Like 2

Thanks Daniel,

I like this idea, and have set up as per your helpful instructions, however although a new Change record is created it (understandably) doesn't invoke the same workflow that brand new changes do. I.e. our Change workflow has a number of tasks that get fired out as the record moves through it's lifecycle. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle on how to make the duplicated change follow that same workflow.

Thanks again

Nick

Update :- Managed to invoke the workflow (needed to port the service selected in the parent change into the new change).

However I've hit a new snag, that when the parent change was created during the progressive capture stage the requester selects an individual that they want  a certain authorisation task to be assigned to, however when the duplicated change gets to that step in the workflow it understandable falls down. Is there a way of taking the PC questions with the duplicated change? I've tried mapping the user selected in the PC to a custom field, copying that into the new change and then using that to drive who the task is assigned to, but it doesn't work, I guess because it's the handle you select at the PC stage but HB needs to know the ID when assigning a task?

Hi Nick

I'll look at adding an option to include the questions/answers when creating the new request.  Not sure yet when this can be delivered, but I'll see what I can do.

Possibly, to help with your custom field approach, if you are using a custom progressive capture form and a data query when picking the user to assign the authorisation task, in the BPM workflow you need to use the raw data when copying the progressive capture question to the custom field.  This should take the user ID rather than the display name.  Let me know if that helps or if you need a bit more info on how this is done.

image.png

James

• Like 1

Thanks James, I appreciate your feedback, I'll give that a go.

In investigating this though we've just noticed the details form that we've been designing (on one of our services) isn't populated across to our other services for that request type? Is this possible? I'm slightly apprehensive about having to manually design the form for each service in the first instance and then having to manually update all of them every time we want to implement a change, the risk of human error seems high.

• 2 weeks later...

We've hit a slight snag with this, we've spent a few hours trying to sort it without  much joy. When we duplicate the change record, all of the custom fields copy across ok, we've used the following node:

image.png.b9193d901e6417d31a7976dc764914c7.png

However we can't get the Summary and description to copy.

We've tried mapping the field as such:

image.png.4b6e5e99ca201b3683a180276c15f0fb.png

And also tried the built in option on the same node:

image.png.8e472a3c25f2d5d7616614bde6c0f9d7.png

But when the record is duplicated both Summary and Description are always blank.

Can someone point me in the right direction, I feel I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks

We're still having issues copying a request that successfully includes the Summary/Details AND custom fields. So far to give users some functionality we've had to sacrifice the Summary and Description. The crux of the issue seems to be whether or not the ' Copy Service' is included in the 'Log new change node'.

If we don't set 'Copy Service' the Summary and Details copy across ok, if we do set it they don't, almost as if they're being over written by a blank details pane that is associated with that service?

We've tried copying the Summary and Description on a subsequent node, but that didn't seem to work. I'm guessing we could map Summary and Description to custom fields, but we'd rather not as that wouldn't align with the details panes we've already created.

Hi Nick,

I'll see if I can find out more on the issue with the summary and description.

We are working on a number of changes that will also work with the Auto Tasks which I'm hoping will help with the copying of requests.  It's just unfortunate that they are not there for you at the moment.  Hopefully you will start to see this before too long.  

Regards,

James

Hi James

I've been working with Nick on this.  This does seem to be exactly what's going on... hopefully we can figure out a simple way round it now we know what's happening.  Many thanks - I don't think I would have found that on my own.

Regards

Louise

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 8:05 AM, NickH said:

Is there a way of taking the PC questions with the duplicated change?

Hi Nick,

I just wanted to let you know that we are currently working on adding the options to include / copy the Questions section when creating a new request.  Provided there are no challenges through development, you may see this becomes available over the next few weeks. I'll post back here once it is in the Live environment. 

Regards,

James

• Like 2

13 hours ago, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Nick,

I just wanted to let you know that we are currently working on adding the options to include / copy the Questions section when creating a new request.  Provided there are no challenges through development, you may see this becomes available over the next few weeks. I'll post back here once it is in the Live environment. 

Regards,

James

Thanks for the update and your efforts on this James, much appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...