Batch searching through BPM's

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

At last years' Insights, we asked if it would be possible to be able to do a search through ALL BPM's and for it to show us where a node with a specific name (title) was used (we use a lot of templates in our BPM designs and it would be REALLY handy do know which BPM's use these templates in the case of something needing to be changed!)

Anyway....we don't remember hearing anything back, but I've just been looking for something else in the 'settings' and I came across this:

experimental.feature.bpm.allowbatchsearchandreplace

it's switched off at the moment, but I was wondering if this is an enhancement which was started but then got side-lined, and whether it's anything to do with our request? If so, it'd be really handy!! (I don't want to just turn it on, just in case!!) 

So...first, do you know if our 'search' request was ever looked at (I DO understand it was a long time ago and a lot has happened since! Oh, and there may have been a few beers involved at the time too..)? If NOT, then is it something which could be looked at please? 

thanks

@Paul Alexander this was looked at following INSIGHTS 19,  it is an experimental feature right now, and not verified as ready for production use.

I'll ask the team looking at this, when it is likely to be ready for production.

In the meantime FYI,

* It will allow the searching of all  properties on all nodes in all processes for text matches.

* It will list all process with matches, and how many matches in each process

* It will provide an option to allow the updates of the matched text with replacement text into either all or selective processes where there is a match.

image.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Steven Boardman

Is there any news on if/when this search functionality might go 'live' please? 

We've got some changes which we need to make to some of our BPMs ready for the employee portal go-live and, rather than scouring through each BPM to see if it needs updating, this search would help us massively!

thanks

Paul

@Paul Alexander the team looking at this still have some hurdles to overcome with this feature, so whilst these are looked at it will remain under the EXP flag.  I can't give timelines on this unfortunately, but it is an area which is under review but the issues with it need resolving before it can more forward for various reasons, but least the impact of changes on mass may cause if done in error or my mistake. 

Guest Paul Alexander

HI @Steven Boardman

Thanks for the update - and I do understand the horrible mess it would leave if a 'mass change' option was used but wasn't completely thought about! For us though, just being able to list which BPM's contain a particular node would be VERY useful. The updates could still be done manually - 

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

@Paul Alexander the Search Only element of this will be released as a standard feature in the admin tool, this is likely to included in next week's update.  This will mean you will be able to search for and find the processes which use the search terms in their nodes, and also a count of how many nodes in those processes have those terms.