Request Assignment Email

LifeOfJonny

Hi Hornbill,

I've turned on "Assignment (Owner Notification)" and "Assignment (Team Notification)" for both Hornbill and Email notification in my user profile settings, yet when another analyst assigns me a request either to the team or directly, I don't get an email about this. The system notification works but not email.
I also turned on "Portal Update" and those emails do come through when a customer updates a ticket via the portal.

Am I missing something here?

I've checked the Wiki page but looks like everything is ok https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Service_Manager_Notification_Settings
We do have "guest.app.requests.notification.allowUserDefinedNotificationType" turned on, to allow analysts to set the notification type they want.

Many Thanks
Jonny

@LifeOfJonny

• Can you confirm Email Notification Prerequisites specifically guest.app.requests.notification.emailMailbox? Is this configured to use a valid mailbox?
  • Can you confirm Notification Settings specifically Assignment / Reassignment:
    • Notification Type settings? Are they configured (turned on)?
    • Email Template settings? Are the configured to use a valid template?

Hi Victor,

guest.app.requests.notification.emailMailbox is set to helpdesk, which doesn't exist. So this needs setting to a mailbox which exists? I wasn't sure this was a requirement or not due to the fact emails for customer request updates via portal and email are coming through to my personal email.

Email Template does exist, first thing I checked.

image.png.382308dbf7487ee3b9355a05a736ffde.png

15 minutes ago, LifeOfJonny said:

So this needs setting to a mailbox which exists? I wasn't sure this was a requirement or not due to the fact emails for customer request updates via portal and email are coming through to my personal email.

Yes, it needs to be set to a mailbox which exists. This is specified on the wiki:

It is necessary to specify the ID of the Hornbill Shared Mailbox (e.g. helpdesk) from which the notifications will originate.

Notifications for customer updates via portal are using emailDomain and emailPrefix settings. This is also specified in the note in the same section on the wiki:

Email notifications for users on customer/service portal updates and approval emails are sent using a direct method, they do not use any mailbox. The originating email address for these emails is guest.app.requests.notification.emailPrefix@guest.app.requests.notification.emailDomain meaning the resulting email address must be correct and valid.

It is also mentioned in this note that: All other notifications are sent via the mailbox using the one configured on guest.app.requests.notification.emailMailbox which refers to the first point above.

2 minutes ago, Victor said:

Yes, it needs to be set to a mailbox which exists. This is specified on the wiki:

It is necessary to specify the ID of the Hornbill Shared Mailbox (e.g. helpdesk) from which the notifications will originate.

Notifications for customer updates via portal are using emailDomain and emailPrefix settings. This is also specified in the note in the same section on the wiki:

Email notifications for users on customer/service portal updates and approval emails are sent using a direct method, they do not use any mailbox. The originating email address for these emails is guest.app.requests.notification.emailPrefix@guest.app.requests.notification.emailDomain meaning the resulting email address must be correct and valid.

It is also mentioned in this note that: All other notifications are sent via the mailbox using the one configured on guest.app.requests.notification.emailMailbox which refers to the first point above.

Ah that makes sense, I think I miss understood abit of that wiki page.

When setting guest.app.requests.notification.emailPrefix, is there a way to change the display name of the email that you get? Or will it just who what ever the Mailbox name is? As we have different departments using Hornbill, so would be nice to use a generic Display name in the email, as currently all our mailboxes are department specific names. Oh course I can add noreply to one of them but displayname would say the mailbox name right?

Thanks for such a fast responce
Jonny

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LifeOfJonny said:

When setting guest.app.requests.notification.emailPrefix, is there a way to change the display name of the email that you get? Or will it just who what ever the Mailbox name is?

Yes.

Expanding on this a bit, there isn't any setting for this display name when using emailprefix@emailDomain method. The display name will be whatever the recipient decides to have it as...

1 minute ago, Victor said:

Yes.

Expanding on this a bit, there isn't any setting for this display name when using emailprefix@emailDomain method. The display name will be whatever the recipient decides to have it as...

Let me discuss changing these settings with my company and I'll report back if that fixes our problem :-) 

• Like 1

Hi @Victor,

We set these 3 settings regarding the mailbox, notifications started working nicely,  expect the mailbox prefix didn't work and it used the default address of the mailbox. I have added extra address of hornbillnotification to the selected mailbox then used that as the prefix but no dice.

We have different departments sharing the hornbill instance. So we would like to use generic from name like "companyshortname Hornbill". Do we need to have a generic mailbox setup for this sort of thing?

Jonny

@LifeOfJonny it seems there is still some misunderstanding regarding notifications. I'll try and explain.

Notifications use two different, separate, methods to deliver an email notification:

1. Using the mailbox where the email notification is delivered by the mailbox as such, it will use the mailbox configuration (mailbox default address and outgoing route set for the mailbox)
  2. Using direct send where no mailbox is involved and because the mailbox is not used in the method, the email is delivered using the outgoing route set on emailDomain app setting. Delivering an email requires an originating address and direct send does not have one to use like the mailbox has, therefore to have the originating email address for direct send the emailPrefix is used in conjunction with emailDomain (the resulting originating email address is emailPrefix@emailDomain)

Only two type of email notifications are using method no.2 and these are:

• analyst email notifications for when a customer on a request makes an update to the request via self service portal
  • analyst email notifications when an email is applied to a request where the analyst is the owner of the request

All other email notifications (e.g. assignment/reassignment) are sent using method no.1.

Depending on what email notifications are sent to your analysts you might notice a mix of originating email addresses, either from emailPrefix@emailDomain or from the default address of the mailbox.

Note: the above might not be apparent if the mailbox is configured to use the same outgoing route as the one configured on emailDomain app setting and this might cause a confusion when looking at these notifications. I hope the above clears this.

• 1 month later...

@Victor (Offline)

We've no gotten a new mailbox just for this purpose setup, its not got a inbound service configured as its not going to be used for receiving any emails, just sending these SYSTEM emails.

I've now set the setting as you pointed our in your post there, but when we first set this up. My account wouldn't get any assignment notifications but the other two people testing it with me got their notifications emails when we would assign each other requests or incidents.

So I left my assignment emails setting off overnight and turned it back on this morning and now I do get these emails but the display name has gone from being "Hornbill Notification" to "noreply". Since its gone to noreply as well it no longer shows Sent Items in the mailbox.

Please see screenshots below.

Today's email
image.png.cc1869887d2da732e235796ab011e2ce.png

Yesterday's emails
image.png.0ce1e8a2ef6a7349ec07cddb6ffa5949.png

image.png.6fd66492ad3e61506a1a52078dd22dd4.png

Sent items of this mailbox

image.png.e8a65c46614dc3505c802ea0bbda57b1.png

Created Mailbox

image.thumb.png.d5630c9c3cbc7df5fad8209ab6ed591a.png

Service Manager Settings

image.thumb.png.80d14b4f57d11054b66a6f046a8e3a2b.png