Emails to auto generate into Tickets

Hello

Apologies if this has been asked before. 
(I did try to search for this topic but couldn't find my answer easily )  

Out current setup

All emails that are sent to a particular email address are sent to the mailbox within Hornbill. 
Our analysts have to manually create tickets and then log these which is so time consuming.

Question - How do you get all emails within Hornbill to create tickets automatically (hopefully this will give end users ticket references straight away).
Also if the emails are part of the same chain is there away to show the link somehow so we dont have lots of duplicate tickets? i think there is a way but not always easily seen?

Logging emails from the mailbox is such a manual task for us? :(

i just want this logged automatically  really to save some time.

Thank you in advance

@Shamaila

Thanks for the question.  It is technically possible to use auto-responder to do this, but we have found after many 100's of installations that most people then turn this off again, here are a few reasons why that you should consider. 

* When we log a ticket via email, depending on the email message, its source server type and originating company policy with things like disclaimers, its next to impossible to know what content is relevant and what content is noise, take for example a footer with a logo in it, we cannot tell of the logo is a footer component or a purposeful image attachment that is relevant to the request being made.  The net result, tickets are logged with a lot of noise, which the agents will also find a real chore to pick through each time they have to look at the ticket. 
* Typically we will use the presence of a recognisable request reference that is tied to that user who's email is received from, then we can post that as an update to the ticket rather than log a new one.  The problem here is the same though as the point above, by the time the customer has replied four of five times, the call timeline ends up full of noise, again its not technically possible to extract just the relevant information, and exclude the duplicated content. 

Experience has shown that the relatively small amount of time it takes to do the initial log/update from the email, where you can make intelligent decisions about what and what is not relevant content is far better than havign everyone thereafter having to pick out and understand the noisy content. If you automate this, which you can, then I believe overall you will need more time spent through the life of the ticket. 

I would suggest you should seriously consider asking the question "why are there so many email requests in the first place"?  Is this something that, given our concerns over wasted time you could tackle by say, getting your end users to use Self-service instead of email? Thats the route most customers take because ultimately, its a better experience for the end users and its a better experience for the support team. 

Interested to know your thoughts. 

Gerry

On 6/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, Gerry said:

@Shamaila

Thanks for the question.  It is technically possible to use auto-responder to do this, but we have found after many 100's of installations that most people then turn this off again, here are a few reasons why that you should consider. 

* When we log a ticket via email, depending on the email message, its source server type and originating company policy with things like disclaimers, its next to impossible to know what content is relevant and what content is noise, take for example a footer with a logo in it, we cannot tell of the logo is a footer component or a purposeful image attachment that is relevant to the request being made.  The net result, tickets are logged with a lot of noise, which the agents will also find a real chore to pick through each time they have to look at the ticket. 
* Typically we will use the presence of a recognisable request reference that is tied to that user who's email is received from, then we can post that as an update to the ticket rather than log a new one.  The problem here is the same though as the point above, by the time the customer has replied four of five times, the call timeline ends up full of noise, again its not technically possible to extract just the relevant information, and exclude the duplicated content. 

Experience has shown that the relatively small amount of time it takes to do the initial log/update from the email, where you can make intelligent decisions about what and what is not relevant content is far better than havign everyone thereafter having to pick out and understand the noisy content. If you automate this, which you can, then I believe overall you will need more time spent through the life of the ticket. 

I would suggest you should seriously consider asking the question "why are there so many email requests in the first place"?  Is this something that, given our concerns over wasted time you could tackle by say, getting your end users to use Self-service instead of email? Thats the route most customers take because ultimately, its a better experience for the end users and its a better experience for the support team. 

Interested to know your thoughts. 

Gerry

Thank you for above it is definitely food for thought. I will review with seniors management team  and come back to you if i need further guidance on this-