Increase handle field length from 64 to 255

Hi Hornbill,

Would it be possible to extend the handle field length to say 255 characters from the 64 character limit. We'd like to use the following format as our default handle if possible currently 64 characters is too short, to proceed with doing this. This way it will contain all the information we need, when we search for a co-worker. I noticed the Job Title can be very long so why not the handle.

Example: John Doe - JDoe@MyLongDomain.co.uk

Note: Our UserID isn't an email address it's a unique generated value.

Many Thanks
Jonny

Hi Jonny,

Thanks for your post. 

I think that there would be a number of display issues with a change in size to the Handle.  The Handle, or display name, is used throughout the Hornbill UI and is provided as the user friendly or less formal name of the person.

Where is it that you are trying to search for users?  It may be a case where we can just add the email address as one of the searchable fields.  I'm sure that in some cases, it already is.  

Regards,

James

Hi James,

We're trying to automate the creation of our users in Hornbill, so I'm trying to make sure all the unique fields don't come across duplicates. We're going to use Prefix'd randomly generated ID for the userid which will help us when user's change their surname, or have their domain changed.
If making the handle long will cause UI issues, then we'll have to stick too just putting the email address in there. The idea of the example format is it shows up nicely when you search for a co worker when creating a request. Otherwise it just shows up as "JDoe@MyLongDomain.co.uk (RANDOMIDHERE).... Job title". Would be nice if it showed thier firstname and last name as well you see.

We won't have 2 people with the same email address but we may have say two John Smith's so automating the creation of a second John Smith where "Firstname Lastname" format is used for handle would cause the creation to fail. We'll have to keep the handle as just the email then.

If we could change how the co-worker details are shown on the user selection popup when searching a co-worker that would be just as good. As showing the userid isn't going to much use for us when its a random ID it shows.

Note: We're creating our own Powershell scripts to automate the creation/update process.

Jonny

You may also want to keep in mind that users can change their Handle.  It is a field for them to be able to add the name for which they want to be known by.  I'll have a look at the format of the Progressive Capture search form to see what options I can suggest.

Hi Jonny,

You'll have to forgive me as I try to understand what you are trying to achieve, and where the problems are.

1.) From what I understand, the first step was the import and an issue you have with duplicates.  By disabling the uniqueUserHandle setting mentioned above, you will be able to do your automated account creation without the worry of it failing on this field.  Commonly Firstname + Lastname is used for the Handle.  Worthwhile keeping in mind that users can change their Handle. 

2.) If you use Firstname + Lastname as the Handle, then this is the format that you are left with in the Progressive Capture Customer Search, which include Handle, User ID, and Job Title.  You can also search by email, or company name.

image.png

3.) Once you select the user here, on the right hand side a full profile of the user is displayed.  You can customize what is displayed on this right hand side by adding the fields that you would like to display from within the properties of the Customer or Co-worker Search forms in the Progressive Capture designer.  

image.png

Hi James,

I am working with Jonny on our Hornbill configuration.

Whilst the additional display fields in the progressive capture is very useful when raising requests, is there any settings that allow the inclusion of fire name, last name and email address in other customer search fields when maintaining requests such as when you need to change the customer.

Our concern is that as we are being forced to use a random string for the userID as this cannot be changed for existing users (as we reuse old emails we cannot use that) having only the handle (which can be changed) and the userID in the search box may lead to incorrect allocation and data breaches. 

image.png.1697bf30ae2b6242cf66826e53785f34.png

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Jon

Hey,

If we could exchange the userid in brackets to email address that would do the trick for us. B) or even show firstname and lastname like Jon said.

Glad to hear you can turn off the uniqueness of the Handle, as that's now half way to solving our problem, just need to solve the searching for co-worker issue, so if they change the handle, we can still easily findout which Jeffery they are so to speak.

Jonny

@LifeOfJonny I understand our colleagues sent you an update regarding this and I'll post something here for reference.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:52 AM, LifeOfJonny said:

need to solve the searching for co-worker issue, so if they change the handle, we can still easily find out which Jeffery they are so to speak.

We have discussed the scenario and the outcome is that we have added an additional option to the Handle field on user profile which an admin can use to set the Handle field on user profile as read only so users will not be able to amend this. This will ensure that the handle can be controlled by system administrators to avoid running into the issue described above (analysts unable to clearly establish the user identity when changing or setting the customer on a request). The new option for Handle field on user profile will be available once the next ESP Platform update is deployed in live instances (no specific ETA for next platform update at the moment but it should be in the range of one-two weeks now). 

Note: The above changes are not included in ESP build 3337 (https://community.hornbill.com/topic/18593-new-update-hornbill-esp-3337/) as this build was wrapped up for deployment before these changes were implemented.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @LifeOfJonny

I am pleased to inform you that the Handle field can now be configured as read-only (to prevent users from amending this field) by an administrator with the form designer role.