Passing 'User prompted input' values when using the 'reporting' APIs

I have been writing code to run, check and retrieve reports using the Hornbill API (via a PowerShell script), and this all works fine.
However a couple reports have filters like "Requests -> Date Logged value is less than <User prompted input>". Is It possible to pass the "<User prompted input>" values when using the API, e.g. using something like the 'runtimeParameter' input parameter? If so how would I go about doing this?

I've had a look at the source code for the 'goHornbillReportRunner-master' but the report runner doesn't include an option for this.

Any advice would be useful, even confirming if this isn't possible would help as it would stop me barking up a none existent tree.

Cheers
Tom

Hi @TomW,

Sure, check out the API documentation for a detailed description, but basically you need to add the runtimeParameter input parameter to your API call, which in XML would look something like this:

<runtimeParameter>
  <inputParameter>
    <uuid>
      the id of the first input param - match this up to select section in report definition
    </uuid>
    <value>
      the value of the first input param
    </value>
  </inputParameter>
  <inputParameter>
    <uuid>
      the id of the second input param - match this up to select section in report definition
    </uuid>
    <value>
      the value of the second input param
    </value>
  </inputParameter>
</runtimeParameter>

Cheers,
Steve

Further to the issue above I have been trying to pass the user input variable when calling the "reportRun" API as follows:

$Parameter = @(
        "<reportid>$reportID</reportid>"
         "<runtimeParameter><inputParameter><uuid>idDateLogged</uuid><value>2019-04-30 00:00:01</value></inputParameter></runtimeParameter>"
    )

When the code runs I get the error:

Running report: 516
Run-HbReport : The element <uiid> was expected 1 time(s) at location '/methodCall/params/runtimeParameter/inputParameter/uuid' but encountered <uuid> instead
At G:\Release Team\PowerBI\Incidents Related to Known Errors and Problems - Exp\Experiments\RCV - Known Errors Problems and Associated Calls\PowerShell Script\Run and
Download Report.ps1:369 char:23
+     $runRepResponse = Run-HbReport($reportId)
+                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Run-HbReport

The value "idDateLogged" in my code is the variable reference name that is stored when the user is asked to input a date when running the report manually. Although I may be using the wrong value for the uuid the error message returned shows that it was expecting the element "<uiid>" which isn't mentioned anywhere in the API documentation for the "reportRun" API method, and is not present in the PowerShell code that I wrote.

Please could you offer some advice?

Cheers

• 3 years later...

Apologies for replying to a very old post but I had signed up to the forums to ask a very similar question about runtime parameters before I found this and also fell into the same pitfall. I don't know if the documentation has changed since this was written, but to be clear the formatting should be:

<runtimeParameter>

<inputParameter>

<uiid>

guid from report definition

</uiid>

<inputValue>

value as prompted when running through the UI

</inputValue>

</inputParameter>

</runtimeParameter>

Note that it is "uiid" and not "uuid" and "inputValue" not "value". While these are now correct in the documentation, it is not immediately obvious where the problem was as the differences are minor between the documentation and the post above.

Since this is the top response on Google when searching for Hornbill and User Prompted Input, hopefully it can help others from making the same mistake.

• Like 1