Run of of service domain space

Dan Munns

Hi all, me again,

I have been adding service domains like a mad thing to the employee portal and have hit a slight snag. 

I have run out of space! 

I thought it would add a new line, at the worst a scroll bar, however this is not the case:

image.thumb.png.e1ba23d9f24fb2eb1a169e83ddcee788.png

There is at least one more page I have created that is not shown. And I have a few more to add yet! 

@Dan Munns

For what its worth, I think you might be using domains as services, you are never going to fit them all in, I would encourage you to try and re-think your domains to maintain a smaller number of them. I cant be 100% sure as you have a couple rubbed out, but is that possible? 

And even if those are correctly domains, will all users see all domains?

Gerry

@Gerry I needed to clear my browser cache and then it showed them all. 

Basically I currently have around 50 services in the old world (not all are shown on the portal) but it is starting to look abit messy.

My plan is:

• IT, IT Sec and other IT teams fall under IT
  • IT Change, Change and Projects all fall under Change and Projects
  • 3 finance services all fall under Finance
  • Marketing is just Marketing
  • Procurement is just procurement
  • Facilities and building security fall under Facilities
  • HR will cover a number of HR services (yet to be built, looks like I finally got my way though)
  • The scrubbed out ones basically replace 1 or 2 services each.

I would love to be able to replace our company SharePoint landing page with this and then hyperlink out to SharePoint online for docs and stuff but doubt the business will let me do that (I may be surprised though)

I get what you are saying with the using service domains as services but I have that many teams using Service Manager that have totally different service types it makes no sense to try and group them together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Dan Munns

Yeah ok makes sense. From your description thats fair enough, I was just checking.  I guess its the "Change and Projects" (non IT) that threw me a bit. any expanded use of Hornbill is always nice to hear :) The new portal seems to be a good step in the right direction for what you are trying to achieve. 

Gerry

@Dan Munns in the near future the domains will have a visibility option.

1. Public (the current one) - Everybody can see the domain
  2. Subscribed - Only those who have service subscriptions against that domain will see it in the list.

I don't know in your case Dan, but I think once the 2nd visibility will shrink the amount of domains for many users making the view more targeted to what users can do.

Anyway, we'll look on improving the UI for sure ;-)

Daniel.

• Like 1

@Gerry @Daniel Dekel

Well I am planning on bringing my laptop on Thursday so I can show you how I have it set up and how I (in an ideal world) would like it to look. And what I am competing with lol. 

I was thinking of having something like 'Applications' as a domain for all the business apps we use, but there are so many that are only relevant to certain business units it made more sense to have a domain per business unit.

Plus it will make more sense when I start adding service domain sub pages. 

• Like 1