Asset Templates

samwoo

Hello,

It has been reported that there is a lot of frustration getting new assets into the system, especially when they are tagged and assigned to a customer on the fly (as part.of a project).

Because most fields are free text it has been very difficult to keep consistency when multiple people are doing the same task.

For us, It is really important to keep things to the standard product as much as possible, rather than bespoking external processes to do any imports (either via API or via a Tool).

I would like to request the ability to define Asset Templates, which when used will allow certain fields to be fixed values or defaulted values and every unique field can be made mandatory for manual input.

When create a new Asset, they can use the Asset Template to create Assets, and when the user have finished inputting data into the relevant fields for one Asset, pressing Apply will reinitiate the template again ready for the next Asset to be created.

It should be fully customisable and maybe being able to define the type of field (and list of values) using Asset Templates will prevent having to reconfigure Asset Manager fields to point to simple lists, as it could be define in the Asset Template.

We should have a visible list of Asset Templates in a hierarchical/tree/folder format (so we can groups and subgroups and so on) and should be able to define Template name and description, whether it's active, inactive, parked or will be active at a date in time. Who created the templated, date created, who modified it, date modified it and maybe even go as far as allowing tags.

These templates can then be linked to SR's, Documents and Boards and can be initiated at a click of a button.

Very ambitious I admit... But would make Asset Management the best tool to use.

Thanks,

Samuel

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts about my request to allow asset managers to create asset Templates (which could work like the PCF custom forms) which can then be used to create Assets once or one by one on the fly?

Another feature would be to allow auto values to be used to generate asset tags when a template is used to create them in bulk. Say you get a stock of 100 brand new laptops, these will be tagged on the fly so using the Asset Template you can bulk create 100 assets in Hornbill then when it comes to tagging the real machines you simply go in and update the serial number field to match and assign it to a user on the fly.

Thanks,

Samuel

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 9:36 PM, Michael Sharp said:

@samwoo @Adrian Simpkins these requests seem to fall on deaf ears regarding asset management fields.  I have brushed up on the asset import tool instead and created centralised CSV templates for my team instead.

Mike.

Hi Michael,

Sorry I forgot to respond to you when you first posted this.  Thanks I had planned to look at creating my own solution using the asset import tool or PowerShell behind a GUI instead if there were no updates to this.

How did you get on? How about you @Adrian Simpkins?

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

To be honest it is currently very hard to secure the required resources due to the impact of Covid on our staffing, so my asset issues have fallen to the wayside slightly :) However, we are looking at moving 3 sites onto once asset management system in the very near future, so I will look again at how we approach the import of data then so would be interested if you pursue your solution for sure

Many thanks

On 7/8/2020 at 12:34 PM, samwoo said:

Hi Michael,

Sorry I forgot to respond to you when you first posted this.  Thanks I had planned to look at creating my own solution using the asset import tool or PowerShell behind a GUI instead if there were no updates to this.

How did you get on? How about you @Adrian Simpkins?

Thanks,

Samuel

Hadnt considered shelling it actually - we have a spreadsheet with standard fields pre populated and the ones that adjust every time highlighted.  Just a case of changing those, save as csv and import.  How are you shelling it @samwoo?

Mike.