Deleting BPM Live process instances

DFarran

Good Morning,

Just a quick question regarding failed BPM instances, we have quite a few from when we initially went live back in August where some of our BPMs weren't quite setup correctly. I'm trying to go through and tidy these up but a lot of them I can't restart/resume as it says the instance cant be found, I assume its because its been a number of months since they initially failed. Is it ok to just delete the instances within Applications -> Hornbill Service Manager -> Business Processes -> Executed Processes? I assume this wont delete the actual request? I don't want to delete the requests just clear the failed BPMs that cant be restarted.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

At the moment if you delete a BPM instance the associated request will not be able to load.  The actual request will still be there.  If you are getting an error on a request saying that the request can't find the Business Process Instance this will be because the BPM instance has already been deleted.  We should be able to add check to ensure the request still loads when the BPM instance can't be found.

Provided that the BPM instance is not listed as version 0  you should be able to modify these to get them working again.  If you have other BPMs that are broken, I may be able to help with some suggestions on how to change to get them going again.

Regards,

James

We have added a check for when a request loads and the BPM Instance has been deleted, it will allow the request to display without error, and a message at the top of the request that makes the user aware that the workflow is no longer available.  

This should be available in one of the next couple of Service Manager updates.

Regards,

James

Hi @James Ainsworth

Thanks for the advice, none of them say version 0. As the majority are from August I just wanted to clear the failures as the request itself would have been dealt with and I didn't really want it sending out emails for these old requests to customers which could cause confusion. What would you recommend should I wait for the update and then delete the failed instances?

Thanks,

Daniel.

The only problem with deleting the failed instances is this will completely remove the Process Tracker at the top of the request.  You will not be able to see what has been done or how far in the workflow you managed to get to.

One option for you is to look at is cancelling a process.  At the moment you can't cancel a failed process, so the option would be to make sure that there is a suspend node soon after the failed node, and before any emails go out.  If that is the case, you can fix the process and then cancel the process so that it doesn't proceed any further.

image.png

A cancelled process would look similar to this in the Process Tracker

image.png

I will also see if I can find out the reasons behind failed requests not having the option to be cancelled.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards,

James

Hi @James Ainsworth

Thanks for the advice, which suspend would you recommend? I tried adding a suspend wait for request update on one of the failed processes but when I saved and restarted it the process didn't actually suspend but went past that stage and did end up sending an email. I was however able to cancel the process afterwards as it did end up on a suspend node further in the process.

Regards,

Daniel.  

• 1 month later...