Auto assign (Round Robin) on ticket creation via email

Lee Jones

First post, and very new to Hornbill.

I've been able to use email Routing Rules to have Hornbill create a ticket when an email hits our central IT mailbox, however on creation, the ticket is not assigned to anyone.

The behaviour I'd like to achieve is for that ticket to be created, and then assigned (via Round Robin) to the next Service Desk analyst automatically.

My understanding is I need to create a Service Manager Business Process to achieve this. I've watched the YouTube webinar on Business Process creation and had a stab, but the process I've created doesn't have any effect. I don't understand whether I'm close and just missing out on an important step, or if I'm way off the mark and my approach is fundamentally wrong. I find the lack of a full administration guide for Hornbill a little frustrating, as all other ITSM platforms I've used previously have these and they've helped a lot. 

Any advice would be welcome.

BusinessProcessEmailAutomation.png

BusinessProcessEmailAutomation1.png

BusinessProcessEmailAutomation2.png

BusinessProcessEmailAutomation3.png

8 hours ago, Lee Jones said:

I find the lack of a full administration guide for Hornbill a little frustrating, as all other ITSM platforms I've used previously have these and they've helped a lot. 

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your post.  I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of our documentation on the Hornbill Wiki.  There are two areas that relate to the BPM configuration which may help.  The first area looks at the Business Process Designer which can be viewed here.  This talks about the different elements of a BPM and how to create, save, and manage BPMs.  More specific to the Service Manager app, there are a number of BPM Hornbill Automations that can be used when building a BPM for Service Manager requests which can be found here.  The documentation for the Round Robin Hornbill Automation can be found here.

As mentioned by Jeremy, the Team is a mandatory field that needs to be set.  Once set, make sure that the BPM has been saved and published before testing.  

If this is still not working, then the next thing to look at is the branching on the decision node.  Your screen shot looks correct to me, but you can always add a checkpoint to the Round Robin Node, to make sure it is following that route when the source is set to email.  I've tested using the same Expression as you, and it works for me so I don't think that this is your issue.

One last thing to check is to make sure that the incident you are logging is picking up the correct BPM.  The Process Tracker may not be displayed on your requests as it looks like your BPM only has a single stage and no checkpoints.  Adding at least one checkpoint will make the Process Tracker display at the top of the request which should identify if the correct BPM has been allocated to the request.

image.png

I hope this helps.  Let us know if you still have no luck with getting this working.

Regards,

James