Human Task - Conditional Outcomes

Can I raise an enhancement request to have the ability to add conditions to the Human Task outcomes themselves, so that there is an option to only provide the Analyst with the option to choose an outcome if a set of conditions is met. 

This way we can use a more generic Human Task in the workflow, but apply come validation to the outcome when the task is being attempted to be completed. i.e. the option to update a JIRA ticket with a comment is greyed out if the custom field containing the JIRA reference is blank.

The aim would be that the conditions are check when then the task is opened to be completed, not when the task is created.

Cheers

Martyn

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @martyn,

While Custom Buttons on Request are directly related to a request as the feature is built into the request itself, The task and the request are two separate entities.  Tasks can also be associated to other entities, such as an organisation or a project.  Tasks just do not hold the information about the entities that they are attached to in order to add a feature for conditions that would need to interact with any number of entities that the task may be associated to.  With this in mind, we wont be looking to implement this feature.

@James Ainsworth

I am referring to the 'Human Task' object created and defined in the BPM which has a controlled context, rather than a generic activity which can indeed be created against multiple object types.

For example in a BPM task, if a custom field is already populated with a value, i.e. a development reference, we would not want the 'Log with Development' outcome to be available, as it is already been done.

Cheers

Martyn

43 minutes ago, Martyn Houghton said:

I am referring to the 'Human Task' object created and defined in the BPM

On 3/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Tasks can also be associated to other entities, such as an organisation or a project.

The Task is created within the BPM, which is what associates it to a Request. It is not part of the Request. If a Project BPM created it, it would be associated to a Project - etc.

Like a caravan being pulled by a car, the two are linked but the Caravan is not part of the car, and could just as easily be pulled by a Van, a Lorry, or even a horse and cart.

@Steve Giller @James Ainsworth

But when task is created by the BPM, the conditional Outcome would be be specified on creation. i.e. the change to the definition of the Task and it's Outcome is derived and modified before the Task is actually created. i.e. the caravan does not know that it could have had 4 optional elements instead of 3.

Cheers

Martyn

@Steve Giller

Appreciate what you saying, but the activity object/entity already has the multiple configuration options within it for when it is spawned from the different sources.

• Activities created from a BPM have outcomes, those created as manually activities do not.
  • A BPM activity can have any number of outcomes depending on the setup in the BPM.
  • As far as I understand the activity is created by the BPM each time it is reached in the workflow, not when the workflow is originally spawned?
  • Therefore creating the activity with less outcomes that defined is a matter of adjusting the activity creation process to filter out the non-required outcomes based on the conditions set.

Not saying it easy, but it should be possible? 

Cheers

Martyn