Services and Supporting Teams

Jeremy

We have some services where we have supporting teams which works well, however some of these requests need to be shared with other teams but can't find a way to make this possible.

We have tried adding a linked service, but this still honours the original service and does not allow access to the request.

The only way that we can get this to work is to add a specific analyst as a member then they can see the request, is it possible to allow analysts access by honouring the access of any services that are linked to that request?

• Like 1

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your post.

I like the idea of giving the supporting teams of linked services, visibility of the request.  This would have a bit more flexibility than the members.

I'll look to have a change raised.  I'll update this post once it has been accepted and scheduled. 

Regards,

James

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@James Ainsworth, @Martyn Houghton

We have released our first attempt at a service catalogue and have run into the issue of supporting teams/service restriction almost immediately. Having multiple services and supporting teams is a great idea but when the customer choses the wrong one (eg. App not starting - is it an App or Network issue) is really causing negative feeling with the analysts and preventing adoption of this feature.

Could this change be prioritised as I'm sure the wider Service Manager community would get great benefit.

Nasim

@nasimg

The way we get around this at the moment is having multiple support teams on the ones that often get crossed over, but have the concept of primary support team who get the request assigned to them first based on the  Service the user selected. Once they done the initial investigation and identified it/the cause  correctly the then re-assign to the other team.

Cheers

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Jeremy 

On 10/30/2019 at 8:36 AM, Jeremy said:

is it possible to allow analysts access by honouring the access of any services that are linked to that request?

I just wanted to understand the type of access that you are looking for.  Would you expect all the supporting teams associated to the linked service to have full access to the request or view only access? I can see some concerns with having teams from other services having the ability to resolve/close or drive BPM workflow decisions.  There may be a lot of complexities with access as a result.

@James Ainsworth

Isn't something we want from linking the services - the ultimate goal is we want teams outside the normal supporting ones to be able to deal with specific requests. This is where customers have chosen the wrong service, or one supporting team needs to pass the request to one which normally doesn't.

@James Ainsworth exactly how @nasimg suggests if the request is linked via services then I would expect those analysts in the supporting service to be able to update/close/hand the request in the same way as the service that it logged against.

From our side we cannot see that many complexities but we don't understand the Service Manager application as you guys do.

@James Ainsworth the problem that we would have with this approach is that we do not normally assign to individuals, we assign to a team and then they choose the requests.

Also would this allow people that are in non-supporting teams permissions to interact with the request?

Personally I think that have the linked services would be a better option, also this then gives scope for other enhancements like allowing the FAQs to be bought into the request from for both linked services etc.

@James Ainsworth

This would work for me - but not as well as having the linked service.

I assume the requests sits with the original team and has the old owner, which may annoy staff who wish to only see requests they are dealing with.

Nasim

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2019 at 7:57 PM, James Ainsworth said:

@HHH regarding the connections, the connections feature is more directed towards customers or service subscribers and not members of supporting teams.  For this topic, we will be keeping this within the bounds of the supporting teams. 

Then +1 from us for allowing linked services to inherit permissions

• 9 months later...