Custom asset fields

chrisnutt

Hi,

I have a need to record some asset details that are not currently accounted for in the system as far as I can see. There doesn't appear to be any custom fields that can be used. Are there any plans afoot to expand on this, or is there another way that I have been unable to find? I've had a look on the wiki and previous posts but am coming up short.

The scenario I am faced with is that I developing a point to point encryption process that covers the asset management of pin entry devices. There are some very specific things that I need to be able to record, and report on. I'd rather not appropriate another field for a different purpose unless it is a custom field. Ideas are welcome!

Thanks

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

There are no plans to add custom fields to the Assets.  What we have been doing is adding fields based on customer requests.  If requested fields are common to a particular asset class, we will get them added.

If you can provide a list of fields and their associated asset class that you would like to have and we can review these for our next update to Asset Manager.

Regards,

James

Thanks James.

I'm not sure that this will be a common request so I may have to find another solution.

As part of our P2PE (point to point encryption) process we need capture and record all PIN Entry Devices from moment of arrival to disposal and all steps in-between. We received these requirements from Verifone as part of PCI compliance. I want to use Hornbill for this instead of a spreadsheet. I have added one as a test under Computer Peripheral, but had a look at the other classes in the DB and can't see one that meets all needs. Key requirements that need to be recorded in a way that can be reported on and are not currently catered for as far as I can see, are:

• Security seal intact - Yes/No
  • Number and type of physical connections (I'm aware that there is a connection type field under computer peripheral class)
  • Firmware version
  • Application version
  • Date of last inspection

While I'm talking about this, there is a need to lock this down to specific people so only people authorised can see/edit this info. Can this be achieved?

Thanks in advance?

Chris

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, chrisnutt said:

While I'm talking about this, there is a need to lock this down to specific people so only people authorised can see/edit this info. Can this be achieved?

This +++++1

17 hours ago, chrisnutt said:

. There doesn't appear to be any custom fields that can be used. Are there any plans afoot to expand on this

Custom Fields against assets would be a great way to capture information temporarily whilst we request for an official field to be added to the Assets.

As I have discovered, 3 months a time to get new fields could be too long, especially if we discover something we need immediately as part of doing some planned work, only to find that Hornbill cannot hold that particular information yet and we have to wait for the next quarter for it to be implemented after requesting it on the forums.

Thanks,

Samuel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samwoo said:

As I have discovered, 3 months a time to get new fields could be too long, especially if we discover something we need immediately as part of doing some planned work, only to find that Hornbill cannot hold that particular information yet and we have to wait for the next quarter for it to be implemented after requesting it on the forums.

Yes, three months would be too much for us. In that time we would have put an alternative, less streamlined, process in place with the intention to review. As I'm sure we all know, those intentions can go on a while!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

This may all come down to timing.  If we were to start planning work on custom fields for assets now, this could still be a long way off before it becomes available.  If I could pinpoint a Class that your PIN Entry Devices would fall under I can look to see about adding some of the fields requested.  The security seal is the one that I'm not sure about.  I've been looking at the General Class and trying to think of how we can utilize this for your needs.  

In any case, this will take time so if your requirement is immediate then I'm not sure if there will be something in place soon enough for you.

• 4 months later...

+1

@James Ainsworth

I appreciate the intention to try an standardise the Asset Type structure, but given the flexibility offered elsewhere in the product for custom fields along with the timescales to deliver requested standard fields, this seems a bit at odd's.

Perhaps the middle ground is add a small number of custom fields in the 'Additional Properties' section, which we can use whilst awaiting the provision of standard generic fields?

Cheers

Martyn 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

+1 from us for the custom fields in assets please, I can give a list of what we want to use (but I feel this is not going to help) as we use this to record Teaching Rooms there is not even an asset class for this...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi @Alisha

There are no plans at the moment to have custom fields on Assets.  Up to this point we have been adding fields that have been requested by customers where we see that they may be useful to other customers.  This prevents each customer having a unique environment and helps with reporting, imports, and automations.

Do let us know if you have a particular requirement for a new field and I'll feed this back to development.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1 for custom fields for us as well. We need to add some assets that have info we need to capture, that don't fit into the headings currently available. This is for our facilities department though, I don't suppose there would be a specific template for facilities would there? I've looked and haven't found anything so was just going to use the General asset template.

1 hour ago, JanS2000 said:

We need to add some assets that have info we need to capture, that don't fit into the headings currently available.

@JanS2000 I can only reiterate James's comments from the top of the thread:

On 10/28/2019 at 5:21 PM, James Ainsworth said:

There are no plans to add custom fields to the Assets.  What we have been doing is adding fields based on customer requests.  If requested fields are common to a particular asset class, we will get them added.

If you can provide a list of fields and their associated asset class that you would like to have and we can review these for our next update to Asset Manager.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...