Temporary Variables in BPM's

samwoo

Hello,

I would like to request the ability to store Temporary Variables in the context of the BPM, and only applies to the life of the BPM.  It should be able to define the variable using nodes and give them custom names, which I can use throughout the entirety of the BPM unless the Temporary Variables are overwritten.

The use cases I can think of for this are as followed:

1. I would like to store text that I will dynamically change, without having to store the information in a Custom Field (which makes no sense in this case).  I have a loop that that waits for the username input in a Human Task, and if the username already exists in Hornbill, retrieve the user details of the existing user and return to the beginning of the loop.  I want to update the original Human Task dynamically to say that the username the inputted already exists without having to create a new loop with a new Human Task outside of it.

2. Users may wish to store certain information from PCF forms or calculated values within simpler and easier to read and use variable codes.

3. If looking at a BPM Instance, we can see what Temporary Variables are set up and have values and have the ability to change them before restarting or resume the instance

The temporary variable code field type should be Single-line text
The temporary variable value field type should allow Single or Multi-line text

Thanks,

Samuel

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Any thoughts on this? There was another post that linked to this one with other use cases for the idea. (Trying to find it)

Thanks,

Samuel

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 7:03 AM, Victor said:

@samwoo we already have this... each node can store the variable values in a specific context so they can be used independently... I’ll look for the wiki article detailing this and will post it here

Thanks Victor

@samwoo here: https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Hornbill_Automation

Since Build 1059 (Hornbill Admin Tool), a Hornbill Automation node can be given a reference via Result Reference option in the node's configuration. When there is more than one Hornbill Automation node that performs the same task, unique references can be supplied to allow for value comparisons.

• Thanks 1