Adding Tasks

Nick Brailsford

Hi There, 

I am putting a project plan together that has some milestone, i want to then add some tasks to those milestone.  I did the first task no problem, now that i am adding a second task the milestone in not in the drop down menu

Also why am i not able to change milestones / depends on Tasks after I have saved a task.

Thanks

Nick 

@Nick Brailsford thanks for your post. 

Only milestones that are not completed and less than 100% should be shown in the drop down menu. If that is not the case then there is a bug our development team will have to investigate.

Regarding the changing of milestones and task dependencies - this is by design but will be changing very soon as we look to increase the functionality in this area.

Alex

• Thanks 1

Hi @Nick Brailsford,

Yes please feel free to post up comments and ideas to the project manager forum and myself and my colleagues will do our best to answer them as quickly as we can.

Regarding external resources; there is a resources tab currently on a project. At the moment this is limited to people (as a resource) but it's always been intended that this will expand at some point. Physical assets, possibly suppliers etc. If you have some requirements and ideas in this area we would be keen to hear them.

When creating new tasks, the current thinking and functionality is to only let you relate these new tasks to milestones that are not 100% complete. If you relate a task to a milestone (on task creation) you are in effect saying that this task counts towards the completion of the stated milestone. The system then performs the calculation accordingly when each task that is related to a milestone is completed. So for example, I create a milestone and then I create 4 tasks and state that each of them count towards the milestone. When I complete the first task, the milestone progress is automatically updated to 25% complete. When I complete the second task, the milestone progress is 50% complete etc.

Alex

On 9/20/2019 at 9:20 AM, AlexTumber said:

@Nick Brailsford no, they do not appear on the project overview. 

I can see the value of this though and will pass on this requirement to our product team.

Alex

On 9/20/2019 at 2:02 PM, AlexTumber said:

@Nick Brailsford sure. I've just checked and the description field is already a LONGTEXT field in the db so the restriction must be in the UI. I will ask our development team to change this for the next update.

Alex

On 9/26/2019 at 9:55 AM, AlexTumber said:

Hi @Nick Brailsford,

Yes please feel free to post up comments and ideas to the project manager forum and myself and my colleagues will do our best to answer them as quickly as we can.

Regarding external resources; there is a resources tab currently on a project. At the moment this is limited to people (as a resource) but it's always been intended that this will expand at some point. Physical assets, possibly suppliers etc. If you have some requirements and ideas in this area we would be keen to hear them.

When creating new tasks, the current thinking and functionality is to only let you relate these new tasks to milestones that are not 100% complete. If you relate a task to a milestone (on task creation) you are in effect saying that this task counts towards the completion of the stated milestone. The system then performs the calculation accordingly when each task that is related to a milestone is completed. So for example, I create a milestone and then I create 4 tasks and state that each of them count towards the milestone. When I complete the first task, the milestone progress is automatically updated to 25% complete. When I complete the second task, the milestone progress is 50% complete etc.

Alex

@AlexTumber Hi Alex, 

We sometimes use 3rd parties to assist in delivering projects (EG we are developing processes in Service Manager and use one of your colleagues to help us develop it) i need to be able to add that resource into the project so that I can track costs and time etc for full viability.  This is more import than physical assets.

Re Tasks - Should we not be using the progress bar in tasks then to track progress, will it automatically calculate that?  Once i have completed the task i have set this to 100% but it marked the milestone as complete.

I have a lot of ideas and questions around this application :-) 

• Like 1