User Alerts/Important Information

Michael Sharp

On 5/1/2020 at 10:09 PM, James Ainsworth said:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post.  I'm afraid that because there have been multiple requests for different features within this one post, I not completely sure which one you are referring to.  Your original post asked for a floating notice before opening the request.  There are also requirement for flagging unique aspects of the customer, possibly within the customer section of the request.  There is also a mention for having a "Presence Feature".  

The one requirement that did catch my eye was the one where you presented this mock-up.

image.png

The change for this requirement, has been moved from our backlog, but is still undergoing planning.  We are looking to introduce single line notice banners that can be added using the BPM and displayed as in your mock-up.  If possible we will extend this out to allow a notice to be manually added.  For example if you are talking to a customer and they ask, "Please only contact me by email", you would be able to manually add that notice.

Is this what you are looking for?

Once planning is completed and development started I will be able to give you a better idea on delivery time.  There are a lot of other planned changes in the queue.  

Regards,

James

@James Ainsworth the intention for us particularly would be if a custom field is populated for a customer, then display the banner (otherwise, don't display at all).  This would allow us to flag users automatically and not rely on a BPM which is limited to the point in time this is applied.  This would mean we can use our LDAP synchronisation (or manually input it per user) to mark certain users disabilities, intention to leave, or at this current time, furlough. 

Adding manually or via BPM would be a nice addition for adhoc requirements also.

I suspect my requirement relies on looking in the user table so might be more complex as opposed to (I suspect) referencing a new field against the itsm_requests table for the BPM/adhoc application?  If it were the latter, we could do a point in time query within the BPM however this would not apply to historical requests and would need to be applied to all active BPMs which might not be practical?

Regards,

Mike.

14 hours ago, Michael Sharp said:

the intention for us particularly would be if a custom field is populated for a customer, then display the banner

In theory, this should still work. You would use a Get Customer Information node in your BPM, test for a value in a field and if that field = X then post a notice.

Like I said @James Ainsworth this wouldn't be greatly practical as ALL BPMs would need to be adjusted to display disability/furlough/leaver notices and would only apply at the point in time the BPM process is triggered.  This would not apply to existing requests necessarily either if this is something more recently added for that customer.  Examples include:

"Only contactable by email/SMS due to hearing impairment"

"Sarah is working remotely during lockdown, calls to direct dial/extension are not possible at this time"

"This user is leaving the business, please review any suspicious requests to your supervisor"

"This user has now left the business - please close the request or pass to a suitable alternative customer"

"Bill has lost his iPhone, mobile communications not possible at this time"

"This member of staff is now on furlough, please verify if you are allowed to provide support from HR before proceeding"

"This member of staff is now on furlough - return to work date to be reviewed by HR on 26/04/2020"

Regards,

Mike.

this is a +1 for us too, however i would like to throw a spanner (a good one) in the works.

Can this also appear when you are logging a request in the PCF so you choose bloggsj as your customer and it either pops up this message or displays underneath the customer search box?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 10:23 AM, Michael Sharp said:

Like I said @James Ainsworth this wouldn't be greatly practical as ALL BPMs would need to be adjusted to display disability/furlough/leaver notices and would only apply at the point in time the BPM process is triggered.  This would not apply to existing requests necessarily either if this is something more recently added for that customer.  Examples include:

"Sarah is working remotely during lockdown, calls to direct dial/extension are not possible at this time"

"This user is leaving the business, please review any suspicious requests to your supervisor"

"This user has now left the business - please close the request or pass to a suitable alternative customer"

"This member of staff is now on furlough, please verify if you are allowed to provide support from HR before proceeding"

"This member of staff is now on furlough - return to work date to be reviewed by HR on 26/04/2020"

Regards,

Mike.

@James Ainsworth has there been any traction on this please?

Thanks,

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 8:00 AM, Steven Boardman said:

@Michael Sharp it's still going through development right now.  The work is essentially done, but it is developer review.   All being well it should be available in the coming weeks (subject to any major issues identified in dev review/ testing).

appreciate the update thanks @Steven Boardman!

• 4 weeks later...

As of Hornbill Service Manager build 1985, we have introduced a new feature that provides the ability to add notices to the top of a request.  

At the top of the Information panel, there is a new button to add and manage Request Notices.  From here, the owner of the request or someone with full request rights can manually add and remove notices.  

image.png

Notices can also be added and removed using the BPM workflow

image.png

Another area within the BPM Workflows where this can be used are the Suspend Nodes.  You can add a notice to a suspend node to provide a bit more information to the user as to why the request is suspended and what needs to be done to continue.  The notice will be automatically removed once the BPM progresses. 

image.png

Regards, 

James

On 5/5/2020 at 10:23 AM, Michael Sharp said:

Regards,

Mike.

@James Ainsworth great to see this now been implemented.  I wondered if the same functionality could be developed as above?  I think there is a lot of justification for a persistent banner per customer also.

Regards,

Mike.

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

I still have some plans in my backlog to extend this feature.  We have a huge backlog of great suggestions for the Service Manager app from our customers which we continually work through.   So, the likelyhood is that we will have to come back to this at some point in the future.  

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, nasimg said:

@James Ainsworth

I've been meaning to follow up on @Michael Sharp idea on the persistent banner (per customer) which I see as essential for highlighting specific messages (disabilities) - any updates in this area?

Nasim

The best I can suggest is branching your BPMs for users in an organisation (disability requirements group) and writing the disability in a custom attribute then presenting that in the banner as a variable. I agree though, would save writing this configuration to ALL BPMs which isn’t really practical. 

Mike. 

18 hours ago, Michael Sharp said:

Also @nasimg let me know if you need a hand with this and I can always export a config file for you. 
Mike. 

It doesn't look like Hornbill is going to do this any time soon so if you can export it, that would be great

Nasim