Notifying Customer of cancelled requests

Keith

Am I correct in thinking that a customer does NOT get notified when a request is cancelled by an analyst? I can't see any settings to specify a template for this scenario. 

Surely we don't need to enter an Update/Email AND perform a cancellation?

Regards

Keith

@Keith

I believe your second sentence is indeed the case, i.e. you need to do the email/update manually prior to cancelling it, just the same as when you resolve or close a request I do not believe it send an automatic email.

The BPM is normally the method use to send the email when these status occur, but cancelling it will also cancel the BPM.

If you used a BPM process you could send an email and the cancel the request?

Cheers

Martyn

@Martyn Houghton

There is a setting to define a template to use for resolution (see below), but I don;t see an equivalent for cancellations. I don't understand why one doesn't exist.

app.email.template.request.resolutionDetails

I'm not sure how to implement in the BPM as the cancellation could take place at any stage.

Keith

@Keith

Thanks for the pointer on the setting, but as far as I can tell unless there is another setting to enable it, the email templates does not get set automatically when you set a request to resolved on our implementation. 

As we have multiple desks on our system with different resolution templates, these are sent by the BPM node in the appropriate workflow, not the user app itself.

Are these being generated by your BPM or the user app on your instance when you resolve a request?

Cheers

Martyn

@Martyn Houghton Sorry I'm confusing myself. Your quite right, they are handled by the respective BPM. This is much more easily achieved for resolution vs cancellation though as the resolution always take place in a defined stage and is always part of the process. 

Keith,

I'm curious why you wouldn't just close the request.  Cancelling is a right normally limited to a few and should more often than not be used for removing duplicates or tests.  Under what conditions do you cancel a request?  Emailing a notification to a customer about a cancelled request for which they may not even know about and as they can't see the request to get a better understanding of the cancellation, it may cause them more confusion.  

Hi James,

The #1 reason for cancellations is by far due to users raising requests under an incorrect service. This has all kind of implications as I'm sure you appreciate i.e. different BPM, different supporting teams (means we can;t actually allocate the request to the correct team)  etc.

In my view these are incorrectly created. If I resolve/close them they impact my statistics, artificially inflating the number of incidents since we end up with two requests being raised for the same event (after we create one under the correct service). Since this is so common we have extended the right to cancel to all analysts.

I don't understand why you would think the user would know nothing about the request, since they are the one raising it via the service portal. So simply cancelling a request and not telling them why would surely confuse them more?

From discussion in the thread below we are not alone in the need to cancel requests.