Editing questions

HHH

Is there a setting allowing analysts to edit answers to questions (as in questions from customized progcap forms) in case the customer has provided the wrong information.

Current workaround is to add a timeline update but it's easy to miss.

My personal concern over this is that you could find yourself in a situation where the Answer has been edited and there is a discrepancy between what the Customer told you and what information is now in the Request, which could cause an issue.
If Answers need updating might it not be better to be able to comment on the Answer so the change is is immediately visible and the original information is untouched?

@Steve Giller

That is my concern too but in this case it would be allowed for specific people only.
An example from real life is where a department requested a new server and "misspelled" the IP address. 
It would then be nice to be able to have the correct information in place without having to scroll through the timeline

Guest Paul Alexander

HI

The way we deal with these specific questions where we MAY need to change the input is to either give someone admin access to the Database Direct admin tool. Then, when creating the PCF, ensure that the data which MIGHT need to be changed is put in to a custom field (custom_a, custom_b etc)

Then, if it DOES need to be changed, the person with admin rights can change it directly in the database. 

OR - use a 'Capture Task Field' option in a Human Task in the BPM and then update the custom field using an 'update custom fields' node.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm pleased to let you know that as part of the Service Manager update 1944 and newer, there is now an option to edit answers within the Question Section of a request.  This is limited to single and multi-line text fields in order to limit the impact on BPM workflows which may be affected by changing other fields.  The same user role (Service Manager Delete Questions) has this right to edit included in the role.  We have also added this right to the Service Desk Admin role.

image.png

I hope this helps.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi @James Ainsworth @Steve Giller,

Please could we have the ability to update date fields as well please?

We sometimes have Change requests where the date gets put back to a different date. It's much easier to see the date in the Questions area rather than the Timeline. We also use custom field mappings in the date field so that the date can be displayed on our Change widget/dashbaord.

Many thanks,
Alisha

We would also like to have the ability to change date fields as part of our release process. Deployment and warranty dates may not be fully understood when creating an initial release request/record. This information is updated with accurate information throughout the release process. The only alternative we currently have is to use free text which is not ideal when a date picker should be used. It give the perception of poor design to customers inputting the infomation.

Kind Regards 

Hi Chris,

As an alternative, you could take the fields that have been captured and put them into a Custom Date field on the request.  In my own process, the information I gather doesn't need to be maintained in the questions section of the request.  I populate specific custom fields with the information that I want to manage.  There is a BPM Hornbill Automation that lets you clear the Questions section of a request if it is no longer needed once all the appropriate fields have been populated.  The down side to this is that the information may not be available to customer on the portals.  

Let me know if you think this may help.

James