Remove prefix from email

Dan Munns

Hi, 

Is it possible to remove a prefix from emails being auto logged? 

All emails from external sources are marked [EXTERNAL] before the subject line text. 

As you can imagine all requests from email in the request list trim off quite a large chunk of the summary, resulting in having to open the request to see the summary field. 

So I just need a way to strip the [EXTERNAL] flag and keep the original subject line. 

Thanks, 

Dan

@Victor sorry for the tag but I kind of need an answer on this before I go in 45 minutes

Hi @Dan Munns,

This is certainly possible, and not that complex  :) 

All you need to do is have a node to pull in the request details, then a decision node to check if the summary starts with [EXTERNAL], and if so update the summary field using the following:

&[global["flowcode"]["summary"].substring(10, global["flowcode"]["summary"].length)]

This will strip the first 10 characters out of the summary string as it updates it (you may want to increase the first variable passed to substring to 11, if [EXTERNAL] is followed by a space before the subject line). You'll probably get the UI complaining that the context variable doesn't exist (see the yellow flag on the Update Summary node), but this is nothing to worry about - it just doesn't like the fact we're modifying the variable...

image.png

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi 

I am trying to get some information out of the email sent in when someone leaves from the HR system

The email looks like 

Hi IT helpdesk

Leaver Name’s  manager has said that Leaver will be leaving the company soon.

Please could you review the list of property (below) that Leaver’s manager has identified – and tell that manager if anything is missing.

Manager: Manager Name

Employee: Leaver Name

Employee ID: 0012345

Job title: Leaver

Proposed last working day: 30th December 2020

•  printer No
  •  workstation at home Yes
  •  laptop Yes
  •  iPad No
  •  mobile phone No
  • remote access token No
  • router No

I'd like to be able to extract the manager name and leaver and either make them the customer or a connection of the ticket or even be able to populate a custom field with the information.  And store the leave date somewhere too.

Is this possible or is there anything I can do to log the ticket in the manager's name?

Thanks Helen 

@Steve G  - as this is rather an old thread - let me know if better to start a new one?