Assign to Owner (role)?

Guest Paul Alexander

Guest Paul Alexander

Hello

Is there way of assigning a request in a BPM to a particular ROLE (rather than an individual's name?)

The reason I'm asking is that we have pushed Service Manager out to the HR department, and, although they all sit under the same team, they each have their own areas of responsibility for some calls, which are based on which Division the requester works for.

So, for instance, one HR rep is responsible for the Facilities division, and another HR rep is responsible for the Fleet department. However, for some requests, either of these HR reps could be assigned the tickets.

I've set up a few decision trees in the BPM which assign to the correct HR rep automatically in the requests which need it, and it's working fine. 

However, one of the HR reps is leaving, and will be replaced by someone else...so I now need to change all of these requests so that they assign to the correct 'new' person.

What I was looking for was a way to assign to a specific role, rather than the person. That way I'd only need to change the person assigned to this role, which would save a lot of time and effort in the event that someone else leaves! 

Is this possible? (I do realise that I'd have to make sure that i had to have only one person per role.....)

thanks

@Paul Alexander not from what I can see it is usually to a team or owner\creator.  There is another option which could be adapted, there is the option to assign to the 'Most Available Analyst' as this would assign to the analyst with the fewest requests which would initially be the new person.  Not ideal, perhaps an enhancement would be needed to accomplish exactly what you want.

@Paul Alexander Just a thought, could you not just assign it to a group and add specific users to that group? This way instead of changing all the bpm's you just need to edit the group. I would of thought even if there was a role you would still be adding/removing people from that role like you would be a group?

As far as I could tell you can create as many group as you like in hornbill.

(forgive me if Im in the wrong ballpark)

2 hours ago, Paul Alexander said:

Hello

Is there way of assigning a request in a BPM to a particular ROLE (rather than an individual's name?)

The reason I'm asking is that we have pushed Service Manager out to the HR department, and, although they all sit under the same team, they each have their own areas of responsibility for some calls, which are based on which Division the requester works for.

So, for instance, one HR rep is responsible for the Facilities division, and another HR rep is responsible for the Fleet department. However, for some requests, either of these HR reps could be assigned the tickets.

I've set up a few decision trees in the BPM which assign to the correct HR rep automatically in the requests which need it, and it's working fine. 

However, one of the HR reps is leaving, and will be replaced by someone else...so I now need to change all of these requests so that they assign to the correct 'new' person.

What I was looking for was a way to assign to a specific role, rather than the person. That way I'd only need to change the person assigned to this role, which would save a lot of time and effort in the event that someone else leaves! 

Is this possible? (I do realise that I'd have to make sure that i had to have only one person per role.....)

thanks

We do this if I've read this properly.

We have an assignment role created in Admin - System - Organisation which has 2 people in it - and I can then assign BPM tasks to that assignment role and both members can see the task.... - we have 2 job sharing SD Managers ...

Capture.JPG

Guest Paul Alexander

thanks for the replies...

@Logan Graham - I COULD create a new team, but we already have a blanket HR Admin team  which is used for assigning the 'general' queries on a Round Robin basis. It's just a few specific requests which need to be assigned to a specific individual, and I think that adding more teams would possibly make things a bit difficult, and would mean that i'd have to go through all our services and add this team as a supporting team to make sure the requests are visible, etc, etc and I think maybe the overhead might be a bit much at the moment.

@SimonSheldon - what you're suggesting is exactly what I'm looking for BUT.....although you can assign TASKS to a Role, you can't assign a request to a role:

image.png.0b28c48c75fb95287e0038044b256541.png

(The Task Assignment DOES have this option):

image.png.659b648e298f899e5f560458dc90aa97.png

So...could I ask Hornbill to look to see if adding this assignment option would be viable and sensible please?

thanks

Guest Ehsan

@Paul Alexander,

The subscription model for Services in Service Manager requires teams to support services. This is then reflected on whether or not a member can access and action on the Requests against a given service. By allowing members of a role to support a service, terminologies aside, the subscription model will go through significant changes.

image.png

On the Assignment front, if a Request is assigned to a role (rather than a team), which team would the Request get assigned to? Consider an example where members of a role belong to different teams. This then affects how reassignments are tracked, where new owners and teams of a Request are recorded, which in turn will affect any reports or measures that you may have.

image.png

For the Requests that are assigned to the member who's leaving - As long as the new member is a member of their team, they should be able to view their Requests and assign it to themselves. Through Co-workers menu in Hornbill (https://live.hornbill.com/[instanceId]/coworkers/) - The new member can search for the Co-worker who's leaving and via Service Manager tab in their profile, they can see the Requests that are assigned to the user.

image.png

Alternatively you could create a View based on the Requests that are assigned to the leaver and then share it with your team or the new member - This helps to track those Requests either.

image.png

Another way around it could be to add the new member as a Member of those Requests that are currently assigned to the leaver. If you enable "guest.app.requests.notification.notificationType.membersRecipient" application setting, the new member will receive a Hornbill and email notification for those Requests, so they can go into those Requests individually and re-assign the Request to themselves?

image.png

image.png

Guest Paul Alexander

Hi @Ehsan

Thanks for that....it's not looking like I can achieve what I was hoping for at the moment. 

Everything is working fine at the moment, so this isn't a huge problem. I'm just trying to save myself some pain when one of the HR reps leaves! 

I suppose what I'm REALLY hoping for is a way to break out of a BPM, run a little bit of a separate BPM, then jump back in to the original BPM...that way I'd have only one place to make a change if anything DOES need changing. For the time being I'll have to make sure I mark up the BPM so that I can find it again if I do need to change it.

thanks....

@Paul Alexander as per our discussions at INSIGHTS, an option in the business process list to search, find and replace is currently in the works.

So finding which processes a leaver is referenced in, including the specific nodes (task etc) and an option to Bulk change these to the new employee should hopefully help with managing those processes (obviously this won't affect those in flight). 

image.png

Watch this space, and the admin tool release notes for when this is completed, tested and available 

Steve

Guest Paul Alexander

@Steven Boardman

That's excellent......thank you. To be honest (and it might have been the beer...) I didn't realise that a 'bulk update' option was going to be available! That's even better news....:D