Trigger an email the moment a Service Level changes based on Priority

samwoo

Hello and long time no chat,

We are currently investigating the use of the Service Level functionality in order to trigger alerts and emails when a ticket is escalated.

I have managed to set up a test Service, Catalog, Service Level and Priority to work... i can see that the Service Level itself changes based on the Priority I set the request to (thanks the automatic service level setting)... what doesn't work is the automatic firing of an email the moment a request, for example, goes from a P3 to a P1 or P2.

I need this to happen immediately at any time... I don't want to use the BPM for this because a request can change priority at any time which is why I wanted to use the Service Level functionality.

Can someone advise on how I can achieve this?

The options I get is to fire events before or after a target time for either the Response or Resolution targets... which got me confused...

Thanks,

Samuel

3 hours ago, samwoo said:

The options I get is to fire events before or after a target time for either the Response or Resolution targets... which got me confused...

This "before" and "after" options allows you to manage different escalations before and up to when either a response or resolution target is set for.  The "Before" will normally be things to alert people that your target is getting closer.  The ''After'' option is for escalations if a Response or resolution target has been missed.  This may be where you want to alert managers that the target wasn't reached, or increase the priority to make sure that this is the next thing to work on. 

3 hours ago, samwoo said:

what doesn't work is the automatic firing of an email the moment a request, for example, goes from a P3 to a P1 or P2

The Notifications and Emails that are part of the Service Level Target escalations are all time based rather than triggered at the time a Service Level has changed.  So from that aspect, this isn't going to work for your requirement.

I can't think of a way of triggering this email at the moment.  I'll try to dig a little deeper but I suspect we would need to add something to provide this.

Regards,

James

@samwoo there are a few settings which allow escalations actions when a service level is automatically changed - i.e emails set against a P1 to be fired, if a P2 is later changed to a P1, and the time period for the P1 Escalation has already passed.

In addition there is a setting at the top to email and notify the customer if their service level changes, for example based on a priority change. 

image.png

These may not be exactly what you are after but i thought i would highlight the options just in case. 

@Steven Boardman just to clarify, once the below settings are enabled what would happen if you have multiple escalation actions? How would you suggest setting this up if we wanted an e-mail to be sent when an SLA changed from P2 for P1 for example?

19 hours ago, Steven Boardman said:

@samwoo there are a few settings which allow escalations actions when a service level is automatically changed - i.e emails set against a P1 to be fired, if a P2 is later changed to a P1, and the time period for the P1 Escalation has already passed.

In addition there is a setting at the top to email and notify the customer if their service level changes, for example based on a priority change. 

image.png

These may not be exactly what you are after but i thought i would highlight the options just in case. 

@dwalby these settings would trigger ALL escalations actions which would have been sent in the escalation actions of the service level you are switching too - so the one's which are sent would depend when the Service level is changed. 

The P1 to P2 notification would be the system setting - guest.app.view.ITSM.servicedesk.slm.amend.emailcustomerdetails. - this would email the customer of the request with the change in Service Level - from and too.

There is no specific notification for the owner / team on a service level change 

Hi @James Ainsworth, @Steven Boardman and @dwalby,

Thanks for the response. The manager's requirement is for them to be notified the moment a ticket goes from a P3 to a P1 or P2. As this feature doesn't exist, I would like to request this to be added to Service Manager SLA escalations.

In addition to this, we are currently investigating the use of Twilio - I would also like to request to have the ability to send an SMS to a group of users as part of the SLA escalation action to go in line with my requirements raised in this forum post.

As of current, most of the time, we won't know an issue is a P1 or P2 until the ticket has been logged and the issue investigated. By default, all Incidents are all logged as P3 and escalated or de-escalated by the ticket owner if we need to. We do not give the portal users the ability to set a priority when they log a ticket (we tried this at one point a long time ago, and there were lots of high priority tickets raised for issues that should have been a P3).

I really cannot see any other way of doing this dynamically at any time throughout the lifecycle of the ticket :( I hope this is something that is easily implemented.

Thanks,

Samuel