Define your "Services"?

Hi All,

Off-Topic for most of Hornbill and something the business needs to look at itself but I thought id ask for some input here!

When we originally started with Service Manager we set all our Services as very Granular, IT Focused Services... "Citrix, Cisco, Skype for Business" etc... Things like that.

We have had some interest from some other departments to come on board and use Service Manager, which obviously is great news for me as the sole developer!

The only problem is we have way too granular services and it is more of an IT focused Support Portal. We are happy to change this!

My Biggest Example is "Communication" as one for Skype, Cisco.... but where do I go from there to ensure IT doesn't lose its ability to really see what our data is doing, while being open enough for other departments to access the Support Portal and use parts of it for... Legal, and HR, etc.

Any Input would be great, as I'm stuck.

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

@Josh Bridgens

One way you could try group you current individual services into functional 'Services' such a 'Network/Communications' as the Service Level, then move the Services such as Citrxi, Cisco etc to the Catalog level. Then any Catalog's you have within the current Citrix, Cisco services, could be held as Logging Categories, which you could prompt for/set in the PC/BPM. 

This in theory would give you the same drill down/trending capability. The only challenge you will face is then you do not have a direct link to supporting teams if you use auto assign etc, as supporting teams are at the Service Level not the Catalog level.

Cheers

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Martyn Houghton,

Thank you for the reply, I've been mulling over a few things and preparing to ideally go ahead with presenting this to the people who make the decisions in the end... 

Is this similar to what you have in your instance? Or are your users finding it easier to understand a that a Cisco phone displaying the incorrect name goes under "Cisco" NOT "Mobile Phones"

That's a good question.. does a broken mobile phone come under communication... or a hardware issue...

I don't like this. :D 

It feels like every step I make towards getting some sort of portfolio mapped out leads to "but that could go under 4 different categories!!!" 

If HR was to start using Hornbill, do I have a Recruitment and Leavers Service that goes through the multiple teams? Or do I have separate Services for IT and HR that just automatically raises calls when the one tema is finished....

On 4/23/2019 at 8:27 AM, Martyn Houghton said:

supporting teams are at the Service Level not the Catalog level.

^^^ Don't even get me started on this.^^^

I don't expect answers to my incoherent babbling, but any guidance on how others have tackled this mammoth task would be great!

Josh

@Josh Bridgens I kept our Services high-level as having too many causes the 'Where do I go from here?' effect for customers.

As mentioned by Martyn you can add Catalogs for more granular offerings. Getting the top-level services and underlying structure understandable to the customer is essential.

In terms of the below are you asking what 'Service' it would be logged against? 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:06 AM, Josh Bridgens said:

That's a good question.. does a broken mobile phone come under communication... or a hardware issue...

Hi @dwalby,

A lot of this is me slowly losing my mind...

3 hours ago, dwalby said:

In terms of the below are you asking what 'Service' it would be logged against? 

Questions like these are probably things the users will decide for themselves I imagine!

I've recently put forward a proposal of the new Services with a more friendly look and a LOT more catalogues underneath, I'm hoping this will get the ball rolling and we can start working in a more customer oriented manner.

Time will tell.

Josh

• Like 1