Ticket Updates - Notifications

Jack_Podmore

Hi guys, 

As a Supervisor I do not necessarily have tickets assigned to me but I do like to keep an eye on certain tickets for updates (for example VIP's/sensitive users). It would be great if there was the ability to get proper notifications when tickets have been updated by any method i.e. SLA change, customer, analyst, email etc. 

I have tried using the "follow" button but this doesn't notify me when a ticket has been updated by email by the customer for example which makes it difficult to track the ticket without manually checking it for updates. 

Am I missing something - is there functionality already built in for this? 

Thanks,

Jack

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 9:37 PM, Jack_Podmore said:

is there functionality already built in for this

Not for what you are after particularly... You could theoretically build something in the BP but it won't work in all scenarios and will most likely make your process more complex...possibly more trouble than is worth...

Creating a built-in functionality for this is something for @James Ainsworth and/or @Steven Boardman to advise on...

Hi @Jack_Podmore

The Follow option on a request should provide you notifications for anything that is added to the Timeline.  When a customer updates a request whether it be directly in the Service Portal, or automatically by email these should all be added to the Timeline.  If you are Following the request you should get all of these. 

Is this not the case?

Regards,

James

@James Ainsworth

I was looking up in forum for notifications and found this.

On 5/7/2019 at 3:15 PM, James Ainsworth said:

The Follow option on a request should provide you notifications for anything that is added to the Timeline.  When a customer updates a request whether it be directly in the Service Portal, or automatically by email these should all be added to the Timeline.  If you are Following the request you should get all of these. 

Want to share the screenshot of this:

image.png.061fb46244ad0f42170505383762103f.png

However, I only saw this ticket today (9th May which means the ticket is 4 months ago!) by asking my colleague for ticket number to access the ticket and turned out that I have missed 12 updated on the timeline in the tickets but I did not get any notifications from this at all.

Thanks,
Aaron :ph34r:

Hi @James Ainsworth

I don't believe all of the notifications are working properly. As a ticket "follower" it appears we are only getting notified when the customer updates via the service portal only. If there is an update via email there are no notifications.

Should we get notifications for ANY timeline entry on a ticket? If this is the case both a normal "update" and "phone" update aren't working either - it would be really beneficial as a "follower" if you are notified of any update, whether this be from the customer or from another user (my team members for example). This would allow for us to properly keep an eye on ticket updates without having to keep going into the ticket to check or rely on the "last updated" column within the request list. 

An example ticket I have tested with is: SR00005370 in our instance (phservicedesk), we are on build 1489.

Thanks,

Jack

Hi Aaron,

I'm not sure if I have misunderstood, but the screen shot that you provided shows that you have been added as a member.  This is different from following.  Being a member does not automatically subscribe you to all the notifications.  This must be done using the follow option at the top of the Timeline.

image.png

Hi @James Ainsworth

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought that being part of the ticket as "member" I would get notification but it seems only apply for as "follower". I have asked my colleague whether it work with "follower" of the timeline and they said that they only get update through service portal but not through email update or auto process update.

Being "member" of the ticket which allow us to access the ticket and see all the timeline, is that correct?

Thanks,

Hi Aaron,

Yes, the primary purpose of the Member feature is about visibility and access.  Team members and other teams that support the service will already have access to the request and can view, collaborate and follow within the request timeline.  The Member feature is often used to invite individuals that are not in the team or support the service, to grant them access to the request without having to give them access to the entire queue.  

The member feature also works well when there is a 1st line group that only manage the initial capturing of a request and they reassign to the teams the will facilitate the request.  They can automatically become a member and therefore monitor the progress of the request, even though it is with a team that they are not a member of themselves.

Hope that helps.

James

• Thanks 2

@HHH

I actually do not think that is possible (but I went to checked the BPM and actually it may be possible)

image.png.8546d0cdd1c9f59a98a9c77bf03a6b65.png

So I don't really know though, it could be something else.

@HHH

Following is a personal choice for the user to decide what he want to be notified about and what he wants in his news feed.  This follows the same concept seen on other collaboration or social media apps where you wouldn't want someone else dictating what or who you follow.

We do have a couple of small planned changes that will make the follow option more prevalent.  For example, when you get a notification that you have been added to a request as a Member, we will also make the ''Follow'' option available to click on.  I believe that we also plan to add the "follow/unfollow" to the Upate action on a request.  

Regards,

James

• Thanks 1

Hi @James Ainsworth

We are still struggling with notifications using the "follow" button and has been brought up again by the team here. As a ticket "follower" it appears we are only getting notified when the customer updates via the service portal only. If there is an update via email there are no notifications.

Should we get notifications for ANY timeline entry on a ticket? If this is the case both a normal "update" and "phone" update aren't working either - it would be really beneficial as a "follower" if you are notified of any update, whether this be from the customer or from another user (my team members for example). This would allow for us to properly keep an eye on ticket updates without having to keep going into the ticket to check or rely on the "last updated" column within the request list. 

Thanks,

Jack

• 1 year later...

@James Ainsworth

Re: your above comment:

We do have a couple of small planned changes that will make the follow option more prevalent.  For example, when you get a notification that you have been added to a request as a Member, we will also make the ''Follow'' option available to click on.  I believe that we also plan to add the "follow/unfollow" to the Update action on a request.  

I can see this has not been done in the Update action but is it possible now via a notification (in particular in the email template to the new Member)?