Integration call - Project creation - Set Project Manager?

Lyonel

Hi,

I am trying to create a BPM where from a service request (project mandate) I can automate the creation of a project in Project Manager. The integration call is working very well but I have one issue: if I don't specify the project manager, the system will automatically assign the project to the account I use to interface (e.g. System Admin account in my case).

The alternative is to set the project manager using a variable injection, taking the request owner for example. But this is far from ideal...

Is there a way to capture a user via human task in the BPM? Or using a custom field? Then I would be able to inject it into my integration call.

Thanks!

@Lyonel I am not sure if it is practical for you, but have you tried the User Picker in progressive capture, to choose the project manager from a drop down of users, and then inject that user as the project manager in your BP Node for the project owner? 

1. Custom Form > Add Field > Dynamic Drop Down Select Box > Data Query > Search All or Search Co-Workers (sorry no further filtering currently available)

image.png

2. Once the PC question has been asked, in your business process use a Get Request Info > PC Answers then on your integration node in the Project Manager field, use the variable picker, find your user picker question from PC, and inject / overwrite with the RAW value option.

image.png

This seems to work for me.

I appreciate this may not work for you if you can't choose the PM during the progressive capture but thought i would offer this up as something to explore

Steve

@Lyonel i thought you would say that.  I only made the suggestion, as i wasn't sure who would be raising the requests for the projects and if it was feasible that the submitter would know this.

If that won't work, you could do the following:

1. Create a Simple List in Service Manager, of the possible Project Managers, ensuring that each Simple List item Value = the user's ID (see example below)

image.png

2. Add a task in your business process, where you would pick who the project manager is going to be - using the pick list you have defined already as the source.  In my example below, i have added the question to the single outcome on the project task

image.png

3. Use the above task question variable as the Project Manager, in your integration call and Project Manager Field 

image.png

This seems to work ok for me

Sorry @Lyonel i should have mentioned that :(  those custom task capture fields are really really useful for lots of things, they can be applied to both task and task outcome level.

Tip - If you are using different custom fields on the task or against different task outcomes, ensure you have unique id's for each fields (across the whole task / multiple outcomes)

@Steven Boardman

6 minutes ago, Steven Boardman said:

Tip - If you are using different custom fields on the task or against different task outcomes, ensure you have unique id's for each fields (across the whole task / multiple outcomes)

Yeah... validation against that would not be a bad idea ^_^

I have already learnt this lesson the hard way :lol: