How can I set to a specific customer in linked request via BPM?

Hello,

I would like to know whether it possible to set to a specific customer through BPM?

What I'm trying to achieve is to start the leaver process and when they confirm which applications the leaver user have access to which then raised a new linked request(s) to relevant team to confirm to remove their account from application(s). Much like assign to owner but for customer that we do not really want to use so we do have generic users that can be use instead of customer. This way is to avoid bombard emails of the actions from the process to the customer.

Secondly - I wonder whether I can add functional BPM to a linked request through leaver BPM? If so, can you advise me of the steps that I can do?

Many thanks,
Aaron :ph34r:

CC: @samwoo

Have you considered using Connections?

There is a BPM operation for adding users as Connections.  This would allow you to add the user without adding them as the customer of the request.  You could even hide the customer section so that for these particular requests a customer can't be added.

image.png

Hi @James Ainsworth,

Thanks for responding to @Aaron Summers post.

Regarding Aaron's First Question
The IT Leavers Request is raised via the Portal by the Leaver's manager, and this in turn triggers the standard Leavers BPM which has a node in there which creates a new Linked Request for example to remove access to a Finance System. At the moment it raises a request, we have the "Copy Customer" option ticked, however this just bombards the Manager with emails about the Linked Requests they dont need to see (it's all for IT Purposes).

We then took the option to "Copy Customer" away (by clearing the field and setting it back to Auto) but as a result of this, the manager who raised the original Leaver request via the Portal now get an email to say that their Linked Request has been raised.

What we need is to use a Generic User that the ticket is raised to (it doesn't have an email address) as the Customer, or not have any customer at all since this is for internal IT purposes only.

Regarding Aaron's Second Question
With all of our BPM's the final stage ALWAYS has a part which Resolves the request, sends an email containing the resolution, moves the ticket to the Service Desk queue and puts it in hold for 5 working days. The problem with raising Linked Requests is that you cannot attach a BPM to it (as far as I know), and therefore this resolution process doesn't get carried out. When the Linked Request is resolved it remains resolved in the queue it was created against and the officer has to manually move it to the Service Desk queue.

This isn't sitting well with the managers who uses the Service Desk queue for reporting on resolved calls and have recently discovered quite a few resolved calls not in the Service Desk queue and have had to manually move them.

Is this something that can be addressed?

Thanks,

Samuel

• Thanks 1

Hi again,

In addition to my query above can someone confirm the following doesn't attach a BPM associated to the Catalog Item to the linked request?
880944403_LogRequest.png.d768a0b38f81f92da9673a9b1ca0c39d.png
[Source: https://wiki.hornbill.com/index.php/Service_Manager_Business_Process_Workflow look at the Log New Request section]

I am getting a bit pressured to sort this out at the moment so I am just hoping that this can do what i hope it can do in order to avoid me having to massively change the process.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi,

Can I just check - if a default BPM is attached to a Service will the Linked Request use this BPM? I cannot see this specified anywhere but I was look at the API  to see what it's capable of : https://eurapi.hornbill.com/<INSTANCE_NAME>/xmlmc/apps/com.hornbill.servicemanager/Incidents?op=logIncident

And it says the following in General Description

General Description

This flowcode operation logs an Incident using the provided parameters. Firstly it calls the component flowcode operation logRequest to actually log the incident before updating the record with any extended table details. Finally it spawns a bpm process if a service id has been provided.

Please can someone confirm?

Thanks,

Samuel

6 minutes ago, James Ainsworth said:

Hi @samwoo

I'm not sure off the top of my head.  I'll have a look today and see what I can come up with.

Regards, 

James

Hi @James Ainsworth,

Thanks for getting in touch and having a look at this.

Samuel

Hi @samwoo

Here are two scenarios that I hope help.  Each of these describe which BPM workflow will be used on the new request based on what is set in the Log New Request Operation

1. Only the Service is set against the new request

image.png

- The BPM that is set against the request type being raised will be used.  If there is no BPM specified, there will be no BPM associated to the new request.

image.png

2. The Service and Service Catalog Item are set against the new request

image.png

- The BPM that is set against the Request Catalog Item will be used.

image.png

I hoe this helps.

Regards,

James

On 3/18/2019 at 7:47 AM, samwoo said:

Regarding Aaron's First Question
The IT Leavers Request is raised via the Portal by the Leaver's manager, and this in turn triggers the standard Leavers BPM which has a node in there which creates a new Linked Request for example to remove access to a Finance System. At the moment it raises a request, we have the "Copy Customer" option ticked, however this just bombards the Manager with emails about the Linked Requests they dont need to see (it's all for IT Purposes).

We then took the option to "Copy Customer" away (by clearing the field and setting it back to Auto) but as a result of this, the manager who raised the original Leaver request via the Portal now get an email to say that their Linked Request has been raised.

What we need is to use a Generic User that the ticket is raised to (it doesn't have an email address) as the Customer, or not have any customer at all since this is for internal IT purposes only.

When I was testing, my new request that was raised from the original request it was raised without a customer.  If this request is just for IT Purposes, then I'm assuming that you don't need a customer.  Instead you could do something as simple as populate the description of the newly created request with the name of the user that is leaving. So don't add a customer or copy the customer just leave it blank.  If the original request contains a question/answer that has the leavers name, you can use the variable option to populate the description of the new request with the leavers name.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 7:47 AM, samwoo said:

Regarding Aaron's Second Question
With all of our BPM's the final stage ALWAYS has a part which Resolves the request, sends an email containing the resolution, moves the ticket to the Service Desk queue and puts it in hold for 5 working days. The problem with raising Linked Requests is that you cannot attach a BPM to it (as far as I know), and therefore this resolution process doesn't get carried out. When the Linked Request is resolved it remains resolved in the queue it was created against and the officer has to manually move it to the Service Desk queue.

This isn't sitting well with the managers who uses the Service Desk queue for reporting on resolved calls and have recently discovered quite a few resolved calls not in the Service Desk queue and have had to manually move them.

My testing seems to suggest that a BPM is applied and the two scenarios are posted above.  This being the case, if you assign the new request to a request catalog item you should be able to have a BPM set against the Request Catalog Item that fulfills the workflow that you need.

I hope I have understood correctly and that this helps.

Regards,

James

• Thanks 1

Hi @James AinsworthAinsworth,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our queries. We will have a look and try out some of your suggestions.

I was wondering for future purposes on the Wiki to explain that selecting a service or catalog when creating a linked request will trigger the BPM attached to them.

It may be me but I struggled to find anything on this.

Thank you so much,

Samuel

Edit:

I am also assuming the same behaviour here works the same way for Email Routing Rules using the Email Routing setup in Service Manager?